Discuss RCD Reliability - whats your experience? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Started testing a block of flats today and we've found 4 out of the ten RCDs faulty! They're Chint and about six years old.

Seen a few makes 'freeze' due to not being tested regularly, varying from Chint to Merlin Gerin.

Better brands seem to perform better as a general rule.

Only ever fitted 4 BG split boards, 4 out or 8 rcds did not work out of the box. All bought 6 months apart. Either brutal quality or just very bad luck. Also had an awful lot, probably around 50 square d rcbos fail during EICRs. Mainly about 10-15 years old. Other than that had a few die of old age

seems like some people are finding more than 3% failure rate! makes me wonder if we're over reliant on RCDs.

Thing is,they were never stated as being a cure,for incidents,just a possible help.
RCD fails,are like a dog biting someone,they are all fine until the very first time they do...

Sad thing is,i have heard multiple,alleged trained sparkies,say when working live, "Oh,if i knacker up,the rcd will trip..." :rolleyes:

t'other week, i mistakenly switched off the wrong MCB. got a tingle (my fault for not proving dead). 20 year old RCD tripped as it should. customer said it's never tripped in her memory, and has not been tested in over 10 years. 1 up for wylex.

Reply to RCD Reliability - whats your experience? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock