Discuss RCD Tripped More Than Once In a Single Evening in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

chicat

-
Reaction score
My RCD tripped more than once in a single evening.

When I went into my kitchen to investigate my appliances I noticed that my washing machine was left on (in pause mode).

Does anyone think the cause of the tripping could be the washing machine (especially when left turned on)?

If the machine has been paused and isn't doing anything, then it's unlikely to "out of the blue" set off the RCD. Usually a faulty dishwasher or washing machine will trip an RCD when part way through a programme as they switch something on. Having said that, I had a dw with waterlogged control board once and that was totally random.

Maybe something is nibbling on your cables.

Maybe build up of earth leakage over several appliances.

Maybe the rcds tripped so many times its become sensitive.

Impossible to say exactly

OP - Unfortunately "random" RCD tripping is a complete pain and can be very tricky to locate and fix

I would suggest you keep a record of when it trips and what you had switched on at the time , and when you get a spark in show them the EICR you have done earlier this year.

Sorry if this isn't too helpful........

In my other thread wildwest posted this,

"Class II appliances ( look for a square inside a square symbol on the information plate) do not have an earth connection and so can be ruled out , unless they are being used outside and have developed an earth connection of their own, for example, a pond pump."

Am I right to assume that Class 1 and 3 appliances (like my microwave, kettle, dehumidifier) might be the cause? Thanks.

Last edited:

"Class II appliances ( look for a square inside a square symbol on the information plate) do not have an earth connection and so can be ruled out , unless they are being used outside and have developed an earth connection of their own, for example, a pond pump."

Am I right to assume that Class 1 and 3 appliances (like my microwave, kettle, dehumidifier) might be the cause? Thanks.

Could be fixed wiring or loads. For quick resolution an RCD tester and Earth leakage clamp are required plus someone who can operate those testers and interpret the findings.

Disagree with that ............. seen a broken SL single core tripping an RCD in mid air!

Reply to RCD Tripped More Than Once In a Single Evening in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net