Discuss Rcd tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the OP said 'garage' in his first post, I was expecting something like a 4 or 6 module enclosure, with a RCD doubling as the main switch, and 2 or 3 MCBs.
What we have is a 20 module enclosure, already fitted with 7 MCBs and room for 10 more. Are we talking garage, as in a small room where someone might park their car, or more likely use to store junk, or garage, as in a business the repairs and services cars?
There also doesn't appear to be an incoming cable of the sort of size I'd expect for a 20 module enclosure.

Well spotted! As it is now the busbar is fed by the neutral from the RCD.
Whist not being able to make out how the DB is configured I dont think the above is correct, there appears to be a brown tail connecting into the top rail busbar at the base of a 20a mcb. However a SP 100a isolator on the lower rail and it being unclear where the supply connects is mystifying. Regardless of legality the OP should seek professional assistance before going any further.

Yes, was wondering about the SP isolator as it is not something I have ever seen before, even for sale let alone installed, it has always been DP for single-phase isolation switches.

Really the OP needs to get a registered contractor in for this work.

Whist not being able to make out how the DB is configured I dont think the above is correct, there appears to be a brown tail connecting into the top rail busbar at the base of a 20a mcb. However a SP 100a isolator on the lower rail and it being unclear where the supply connects is mystifying. Regardless of legality the OP should seek professional assistance before going any further.
Ah yes I see it now.

can't see anything in the top terminals od the RCD and the screws look askew as if the cage has never been tightened. apart from which, as westie says in ROI i think it's illegal, and just to be blunt without causing offence, it's a mess.

I don't mean to be cruel since i'm all for people doing it themselves as long as they definitely know what they're doing, but there are some really iffy practices going on in this box - tape on what i presume is a split live cable, no sleeving on a fairly long piece of cpc, junction boxes used to join cables, cables strained into connections on angles and some excess copper showing. Not massive thing but would expect a neater tidier job for a new installation - my point is this points to that you might have made other mistakes in other areas. Get a pro in.

Not familiar with the Garo boards, but looks like those MCB's by the RCD are switching the Neutral.
Also the cable used is not suitable for Republic of Ireland as the CPC should be the same size and insulated throughout.

Not familiar with the Garo boards, but looks like those MCB's by the RCD are switching the Neutral.
Also the cable used is not suitable for Republic of Ireland as the CPC should be the same size and insulated throughout.
Daft question, do you follow BS 7671 in R of I?

It appears so but I don't think the busbar links to the rcd, the line is connected to the centre of the busbar. I think.

Daft question, do you follow BS 7671 in R of I?
Southern Ireland follow IS 10101:2020 which replaces ET 101:2008 but I believe there was some delay but could be wrong @Risteard will know. Not BS7671.

No. But they are very closely linked. Unfortunately for the OP, he has carried out work which he is legally not entitled to do, which may explain why the request is on this forum.
I forget you are also in the Republic while I always refer to Risteard ?

That's actually the best piece of advice given today. However we are where we are.To solve his electrical issue I would suggest the OP reverse the rcd neutrals. I would also advise he give a little thought to the possible consequences of going public with this post, from a legal and house insurance point of view.
Is that what the problem is then, the neutrals are the wrong way round in the neutral bars?

I can't even tell from looking at it where the neutral is coming from, just looks like two neutrals from the RCD into the neutral bars to me. Where is the neutral from the incoming supply, or am i being dim?

I can't even tell from looking at it where the neutral is coming from, just looks like two neutrals from the RCD into the neutral bars to me. Where is the neutral from the incoming supply, or am i being dim?
It's not easy to make it out from the picture. The N bar on the right is where the main neutral comes in. The N bar on the left is for the sockets on the rcd. If you look at the bottom of the rcd he has the incoming live, but instead of the incoming neutral from the main neutral bar, he has inserted the "outgoing" neutral resulting in current going through the rcd in the same direction twice

Southern Ireland follow IS 10101:2020 which replaces ET 101:2008 but I believe there was some delay but could be wrong @Risteard will know. Not BS7671.
Yes correct it is I.S. 10101:2020. Currently we are in a transition period. From 1st February any new installation should be designed and constructed to the 5th Edition (I.S. 10101:2020) - installations can continue to be designed to ET 101:2008 (4th Edition) until 31st January. (Although as non-essential construction works are currently closed until at least the end of February realistically new designs now will be to the 5th Edition.)

It's not easy to make it out from the picture. The N bar on the right is where the main neutral comes in. The N bar on the left is for the sockets on the rcd. If you look at the bottom of the rcd he has the incoming live, but instead of the incoming neutral from the main neutral bar, he has inserted the "outgoing" neutral resulting in current going through the rcd in the same direction twice
Which wire is the incoming neutral? The 10mm on the right N block goes to the top of the RCD, the 10mm on the left N block goes to the bottom of the RCD, making it look like there is no neutral at all and it's just looping on itself.

I could have this completely ---- up because i'm not used to neutral bars (they confuse me at present) but i genuinely can't see a N feed coming into the unit.

Sorry for the inane questions - i'm a trainee and looking to see if i can figure this out.

OP if you're still here - which wires on the pics are coming from the existing consumer unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rcd tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock