Discuss RCD's in series in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

There's always a way. If you can't do the job properly don't do it. A good reputation is hard earned and easily lost.

Do you have any photos of this concrete bunker?

I have been doing some testing work on a Nursing Home (new client) which had two 30ma RCDs in series (1 x DB supplying 5 x DB's approx 40m appart) and while testing it was tripping at both RCDs 1 x on one and 5 times on the other really annoying as made testing awkward ! Not ideal.

Back to original scenario of outside supply I always put the outside supply on the non RCD side of the board supplied via a RCBO 100ma and 30ma at shed CU this gives full discrimination for the outside circuit. How do the rest of you do it?

I always put the outside supply on the non RCD side of the board supplied via a RCBO 100ma and 30ma at shed CU this gives full discrimination for the outside circuit.

Are you sure about that?

What are you doing when you're testing at x5 on RCD test?

You would need a time delayed RCD as I understand it from reading posts on the forum?

Im really intrested in this, anyone got a technical reason or idea why this could happen?

Faulty RCDs? Cannot see any other reason theres no magic secret with them as far as Im aware. Needasparks what do you mean you had discrim. with two 30mA RCD's?

Faulty RCDs? Cannot see any other reason theres no magic secret with them as far as Im aware. Needasparks what do you mean you had discrim. with two 30mA RCD's?
Could possibly have been a faulty rcd and i by chance took the bad one out of circuit of the two but neither would trip at any x1 or x5, at the time i was doing a job and i did not know there was an upstream one fitted, did job then carried out test and it came to light. Have had this twice before, one was an old farm years ago and another was when someone had an rcd socket on an rcd protected ring, In all cases there was problems with as far as i see it discrimination between the rcd's of the same size. Perhaps it was just my luck or in all cases one rcd was faulty. don't really know and never had a reason to test the one i took out as all worked fine when only one in line. I know about the size/delay difference, same size lottery and assumed this was another thing to add.
either way i never place two of the same size in series from problems i've experienced in the past. obviously thats just my opinion but in this game we have to stand by what we know and trust, I'm sure we all do and that's what makes the customer call us back to do more work when it does what you say it will.

Back to the OP, if the circuit serving the outbuilding is protected by a 30mA RCD, why bother with a 2nd RCD?

Ever since I went to my sisters place and did some tests and found her 30 ma rcd welded shut I have always had doubts
about relying solely on 1 rcd, especially in a garden, at least with my sister she had a low enough EFLI to trip an mcb in the event of an earth fault, in a garden
that is TT'd you would not have that luxury, the circuit would simply not switch off in the event of an earth fault and would remain live until someone touched something metal.

This garden already has an existing underground cable but somewhere along the line someone has buried an underground joint to extend this cable and the readings I get from testing are very erratic.

The Line to neutral IR resistance jumps from being at 0.2 M Ohms up to about 2.5 M Ohms at 500 V and sort of flitters about between these two extremes and won't settle.
The existing underground cable is a two core roughly 6mm but in reality is an older multistrand cable with the armour used as the cpc.
The armour has broken down and I get an end to end resistance reading of 12 Ohms on the armour, the cable is only 15 metres long so it really does look like this underground joint has got water contamination and the cable should be abandoned IMHO.

There are three small buildings in the garden, one greenhouse, one shed and a sort of chalet, he wants power to all three.

The greenhouse will be damp with a floor that is basically real earth IE the garden soil.
The shed will also be damp but has a wooden floor leading out onto decking.
The chalet seems quite dry with a wooden floor also.

I'm thinking the best way to do this would be to run a new cable which is going to be really hard but I never thought of using trunking to conceal this cable from the fuse board to the outside of the house. This is a good idea as long as I can get some nice skirting trunking maybe, I will have a look today so thanks for the suggestion.
Once the cable is outside the house I can then surface clip or bury it around the perimeter of the garden down to the end.

At the moment I think the best method would be to run a new supply in trunking (not easy) protected by a 100 ma S type.
This would go to a central distribution point in the garden somewhere.
From there I could run a supply to the greenhouse and rod it there.
From the central point I could also run a supply to the shed and rod there also.
Also run a supply to the chalet and again rod it.
This would give me three rods in the garden at different places which should give me a better overall Ra reading.
The main house supply cable is under ground TN-S with a lead sheath that is terminated at the MET in the house so this should also help lower my Ra readings (the lead sheath of the supply cable runs underground through the garden)
Each garden building would have its own small CU and each small CU would be protected by a 30 ma RCD.

The other way I was thinking would be to bond everything and export the main bonding from the house but I would have to put a ground mat down in the greenhouse
to bond the floor to the frame but if I managed to extend the bonding from the house at least I could use the low EFLI of the supply circuit IE not TT anything so that if an rcd did fail in the event of an earth fault I would have the added protection of an MCB tripping at the main fuse board in the house.
Bonding everything in this damp garden enviroment seems a bit hit and miss to me especially with the damp and possibly kids running around in bare feet so this idea gives me the willies a bit, I mean how can I make the whole garden an extension of the house equipotential zone especially when he wants a couple of outside sockets installed?

I am going to do a bit more testing today.

As far as part P goes I would like to wait until after my assessment but if the guy really wants me to get a shift on I will have to notify LABC before I start and pay the fees.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post.

Last edited:
Could possibly have been a faulty rcd and i by chance took the bad one out of circuit of the two but neither would trip at any x1 or x5, at the time i was doing a job and i did not know there was an upstream one fitted, did job then carried out test and it came to light. Have had this twice before, one was an old farm years ago and another was when someone had an rcd socket on an rcd protected ring, In all cases there was problems with as far as i see it discrimination between the rcd's of the same size. Perhaps it was just my luck or in all cases one rcd was faulty. don't really know and never had a reason to test the one i took out as all worked fine when only one in line. I know about the size/delay difference, same size lottery and assumed this was another thing to add.
either way i never place two of the same size in series from problems i've experienced in the past. obviously thats just my opinion but in this game we have to stand by what we know and trust, I'm sure we all do and that's what makes the customer call us back to do more work when it does what you say it will.

It certainly can and does happen NS... RCD devices are not exactly fail proof or fool proof, and none can be matched, so basically anything can happen when you have 2 RCD devices of the same protection value in series.

It's one thing to say what ''Should'' happen, however it's another when it doesn't happen!! with serried RCD devices !! One or both will trip maybe 99 times out of a hundred, then you get that one time it doesn't!!...lol!! Seems as if you have seen this happen, on more than one occasion too!!!

I keep saying this, ...RCD devices are not as reliable as most will have you believe, and should never be used as a cure all solution, to get you out of trouble. A good reliable earthing system to start with, should always be the basis of any installations ADS...

Ever since I went to my sisters place and did some tests and found her 30 ma rcd welded shut I have always had doubts
about relying solely on 1 rcd, especially in a garden, at least with my sister she had a low enough EFLI to trip an mcb in the event of an earth fault, in a garden
that is TT'd you would not have that luxury, the circuit would simply not switch off in the event of an earth fault and would remain live until someone touched something metal..

(1) Lets get a few things right ......

The statutory notice requiring RCDs to be tested frequently (quarterly at max) is there for a reason, its not just wall paper. The RCD welded shut for a reason I assume, most likely a big pop one day! At that point if the person who "reset" it didn't test it with the test button, or get somebody to look at it they were at fault.

(2) A human (about 500 ohms per limb) touching a live conductive part will NEVER EVER draw enough current to break a 3A fuse, let alone a 13A fuse or 20A circuit breaker. At around 100mA current through the body your muscles will start to fibrilate, and if its your heart muscles which are thus affected then its "Goodbye England, look for me on the other side".

This thread has loads of good advice about how to comply with the Regulations for this installation and I really do recommend you find a way to implement them. 100mA time-delayed RCD upstream and 30mA RCD downstream is the RIGHT way to do it if you are not content with the 30mA RCD on the ring final protecting your (fused?) spur to the garden.

Sure thing, the Regs are not statutory, so you could do lots of tests & calculations and come up with a design which you as designer believe is as safe or better than the "standard" way - but be prepared to stand in a Coroners Court and justify your calculations to a jury because its BS7671:2008 (2011) which the expert witness will measure you against!

I also humbly suggest that you don't offer this install to your Part P assessor unless you can back-off the design to the regs!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to RCD's in series in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net