Discuss Realistic call out price? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
knock on the door last night.
“Could you have a look at my electrics. Sockets off, cooker working. Managed to get telly on with an extension lead.”

They couldn’t really say what happened, just that the switch wouldn’t reset.

So walking distance job, find that they’ve had a new db in 2016... rcbo’s all circuits. Downstairs sockets only are off.
However. All tools and testers are in my storage as I’m on holiday now, so that was a 4 mile drive before I get started.

Testing circuit brings up L to E short. So I start splitting the ring. A few likely points where additions have been made or rawlplug holes in the vicinity of where vertical cables runs are.
Problem found in kitchen where a single socket had been spurred from another single... the newish faceplate was the cause.... dead short between the L and E terminals.

So I was there about an hour, plus the drive out and back. Finished at 10pm.

£50 call out plus my usual hourly rate or should I be a little more severe.
No talk of money beforehand, but I did say there would have to be a callout charge.

I always charge a higher rate for the first hour and then hour rate after that. The first hour could be by notice given, so no notice is higher than a weeks notice. Either way, publish or document the charges and display on your website - paperwork. Then everyone knows and it’s no surprise. I also give a better rate to existing customers that pay on time.

I used to do £40 per hr rates for very local jobs , but in reality an hours job always turned into 1.5hrs by the time all was said and done and only ever billed the £40.

My parents recently had a local plumber out to replace a leaky stop tap in the kitchen cupboard and he charge £160.00 plus the tap.
Took him about 45 mins.

Think we are in the wrong job really...

I don't want to be the hedgehog on the zeppelin,but these are always things which require thought,before,and not after the visit.

I have always believed that a blanket charging policy,when SE,is impossible to implement. There are so many factors,which can alter arrangements.

I've had four figures,for a 2 hour call-out,and plenty more,where it has actually cost me....and as Seth McFarlanes moose says..."...and everything inbetween..." :)

I used to do call outs for £60 or £80 out of hours.

I don't bother now
I had a call today and I really didnt want to go out, I told the guy £80 call out and £80 per hour or he could wait till Monday and it is £40 per hour.
He said 'I will call back' and didn't

I have realised that it is better to do this as I get 50% of these jobs.
In other words- I was going out 4-5 times a year for £60 call out where I now go 2-3 times a year for £160

I take payment on card before I go out and it saves any hassle about monies. If they don't want to pay they don't get me out.

I value my time off

I don't want to be the hedgehog on the zeppelin,but these are always things which require thought,before,and not after the visit.

I have always believed that a blanket charging policy,when SE,is impossible to implement. There are so many factors,which can alter arrangements.

I've had four figures,for a 2 hour call-out,and plenty more,where it has actually cost me....and as Seth McFarlanes moose says..."...and everything inbetween..." :)
You're hourly rate plus 20%

If I'm doing call-out in the factory, it's two hours double time, this is even if it is a 5 min job.

One night I had two of these. I couldn't be bothered with them anymore.

Reply to Realistic call out price? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock