Discuss Rental legislation regarding EICRs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sb8389

-
Reaction score
Hi guys
We are currently undergoing quite a lot of EICRs through Letting agencies and finding that they are way behind getting them all completed before the April deadline and they don’t really seem that concerned either ?‍♂️ I’m just wondering weather any of you currently carrying them out are Upto date with them or are the agencies anticipating a delay with the deadline due to current climate everyone is in at the moment. Do you think a delay will happen or will the local authorities dish out the relevant fines?

Hi guys
We are currently undergoing quite a lot of EICRs through Letting agencies and finding that they are way behind getting them all completed before the April deadline and they don’t really seem that concerned either ?‍♂️ I’m just wondering weather any of you currently carrying them out are Upto date with them or are the agencies anticipating a delay with the deadline due to current climate everyone is in at the moment. Do you think a delay will happen or will the local authorities dish out the relevant fines?
I think they'll cite Covid as extenuating circumstances and extend the deadline, or scrap it altogether.

Ive got nine to do before April. No way will I get them done.

ive informed All customers this may be the case and they may need to g9 elsewhere if they want them done in time.

some have tried but come back to me as no other sparkies are taking on any more. I know I’m not.

I have loads to get done but some people just won't have you in yet, combined with working from home and home schooling don't want power off
Exactly same situation I’m finding, i can’t see the whole country getting done (rentals) in the next 2/3 months, I’m just curious weather they will wait till last minute to decide weather to extend or not as I’m sure plenty of landlords will be getting very worried come March time and there properties are not done.

In my experience of testing electrics in rental properties, where the tenant has been DIYing for a few years, the EICR is going to be peppered with C2s and the odd C1, so what happens then? Waiting for remedials and a satisfactory EICR. It'll be years before all rentals are up to scratch.
Another case of Government good intentions without a clue about the practicalities.

I have one letting agent on top of this who started last July (I've done around 60 for them so far) because they realised they couldn't get them all done this March. And another letting agent who has only just started thinking about it (I've only done 2 for them so far) and there is no way they can get them all done in time, but they don't seem too bothered.

The people who do seem bothered are private landlords, who tend to panic and also don't generally realise they get extra time for any remedials. Actually it's been an eye-opener how many of my existing customers also happen to have a rental flat or two that I didn't know about.

Exactly same situation I’m finding, i can’t see the whole country getting done (rentals) in the next 2/3 months, I’m just curious weather they will wait till last minute to decide weather to extend or not as I’m sure plenty of landlords will be getting very worried come March time and there properties are not done.
The law is the law and because of the lock down, does not give the landlord a excuse for unsafe electrics., they have had plenty of time., this law was passed, I have done two inspections both failed.
So it's down to them, I can see a lot of landlords being proscuted.
Judge so what do you think you could get away with it, all it takes a fire in a property and some one gets killed or injured.
Goes in the national press landlord proscuted for failer of electrics.
There will be a lot of land Lords screaming do me now. Love judge dredd.

BTW, I had an email from a landlord client, I did a landlord EICR for him in 2018, he's been told by his agency to ask if the installation complies with the 18th edition. Not sure what to tell him, tbh.

BTW, I had an email from a landlord client, I did a landlord EICR for him in 2018, he's been told by his agency to ask if the installation complies with the 18th edition. Not sure what to tell him, tbh.
That's an easy one to answer. Unless whoever did the installation was extremely good at predicting the future, or just plain lucky, then it won't.
Looks like we have to educate the agencies as well.

That's an easy one to answer. Unless whoever did the installation was extremely good at predicting the future, or just plain lucky, then it won't.
Looks like we have to educate the agencies as well.
Sure. It wasn't installed to the 18th edition, and it also wasn't tested to the 18th edition. But, looking back at my cert, I'm pretty sure it would be a satisfactory outcome if tested now, so I don't know how to give a nuanced reply.

It can be totally satisfactory and "pass" the inspection without conforming to the 18th. It's not required to.
Any new EICR will be done to the 18th, and any non compliance, with a few well discussed exceptions, listed as a C3.

Sure. It wasn't installed to the 18th edition, and it also wasn't tested to the 18th edition. But, looking back at my cert, I'm pretty sure it would be a satisfactory outcome if tested now, so I don't know how to give a nuanced reply.
Just say it was tested to the regulations in force at the time. It might well be satisfactory if tested now, but in the 2 to 3 years that have elapsed, there could be damaged accessories, pendants now showing basic insulation, etc, so you'd need to revisit before you could issue any new EICR,

so you'd need to revisit before you could issue any new EICR,
Definitely. EICRs are like car MOTs - a snapshot at the time of testing.
You might damage the sidewall of a tyre on your way home, and someone might drill through a cable the same day.

I do all the electricals for a local letting agent, I have 12 EICRs to carry out with many more in pipeline. During lockdown 1 and 2 we were lucky in Bath. Very few cases and most of the rentals were empty. So got them done. Have done 41 EICRs since May last year.
Locally cases have gone up. New strain spreads more and with latest lockdown cant do them. Where there has been c2 or c1s the 28 day window is meaningless in current climate due to covid etc... Its as soon as possible. Any major c1 i would fix there and then.
Work is backing up and getting to the point where i cant book more.

Just say it was tested to the regulations in force at the time. It might well be satisfactory if tested now, but in the 2 to 3 years that have elapsed, there could be damaged accessories, pendants now showing basic insulation, etc, so you'd need to revisit before you could issue any new EICR,
Thanks for the replies.

Just for my understanding, does the new law require that the landlord obtains a new EICR against the new regulations, even though the 5 years have not yet elapsed?

An existing satisfactory EICR done since 2019 that is still in date is acceptable according to the guidance on gov.uk.
Here is the full excerpt:

If an inspection took place and a satisfactory report was issued before the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations came into force, but less than 5 years ago, will a landlord always need to have the property inspected again as soon as the Electrical Safety Regulations come into force?
Regulation 3 requires that landlords have the electrical installation inspected and tested at intervals of no longer than every 5 years. Electrical safety standards (the 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations) must be met throughout the period of that tenancy.

The 18th edition of the Wiring Regulations came into effect in 2019, so if a landlord already has a report for a property that was carried out after this date and has complied with all the other requirements of the Regulations, they won’t have to have another inspection for 5 years, provided the report does not state that the next inspection should take place sooner.

Existing installations that have been installed in accordance with earlier editions of the Wiring Regulations may not comply with the 18th edition in every respect. This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe for continued use or require upgrading.

It is good practice for landlords with existing reports to check these reports and decide whether the electrical installation complies with electrical safety standards. Landlords might also wish to contact the inspector who provided a report to ensure the installation complies with electrical safety standards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Just for my understanding, does the new law require that the landlord obtains a new EICR against the new regulations, even though the 5 years have not yet elapsed?
No he doesn’t need another. If an EICR was done in 2017. and it was given 5 years. Then it does not have to be don3 again until 2022.

at the rate I’m going some of mine won’t get done til then anyway.

As already stated, if you have a valid EICR that holds.

Even with the change in regulations to 18th in 2019 (and possible amendments that follow) it does not follow that an older installation would be unsafe, which is the issue for anything coded C2 or C1 that needs attention. That is important, though unfortunately to some degree means the judgment of the inspector gets to call on and non-18th aspects.

For interest you can look over the best practice guide #4 here:

Edited to add: Sorry, just saw you are an electrician so know that already!

Reply to Rental legislation regarding EICRs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock