Discuss Repair or upgrade? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mike7740

Do the existing 16mm tails to the cu have to be changed to 25mm if the cu is changed. The tails to the existing cu are protected by a 60A switched fuse because the cu is fed from an adjoining property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I would upgrade the tails aswell - just personal preference as I have come across alot of old 16mm tails that are in poor condition (insulation hardened and cracking etc). If its protected by a 60A fuse there is then no question of the new tails being able to take the load. As I say - personal preference, but without digging throught the regs I would do it anyway.

if it's a like for like change then you can leave the existing tails. If you are upgrading to comply with current standards then it should comply end of story.

why are you changing the CU?

Weird electricial problem

Sorry didnt start new post. I got apt where lights and sockets work perfect but when the immersion is turned on the lights flicker and the power goes for 5 to 10 mins then comes back on again. However the trip switches dont trip. It justs comes back again by itself. How could this be. I know it must be faulty immersion but how comes all power goes for 5 mins and then comes back on again by itself

Hi! The cu is being moved to a new position. The problem is that two seperate properties are being fed from one incoming cable. One is a shop and the other an office which the owner is converting to residential. The owner of the office believes he has an easment to run a new cable, 25mm, from the incoming supply through the inside of my property. The cu is 25 meters fom the meter which is situated in my basement. I maintain that this would be an improvement and not a repair and contravenes the easment which is that the office enjoys a supply of electricity. The 16mm cable feeding the cu is in good condition and has being examined by an independant electrical contracting company.
Regards Mike

in this case i would probably seperate the supplies after the distributors meter and create two completely seperate installations and test/verify them as such. if it's a TT installation also run seperate earth spikes for each CU. you're only going to suffer a negligible voltage drop across that run if you use 16mm or 25mm feeds. the question I would ask now is where and/or how you are going to run the feeds without ANY RCD or armoured protection

Reply to Repair or upgrade? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock