Discuss Replacing a 2g socket with a FCU in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

finlamit

DIY
Reaction score
Hi.

I have just bought a house which has a semi converted garage which would be perfect as my workshop.

Currently there is one 2g socket available with a single T&E cable and it is likely that this is a spur from a socket the other side of the wall. I really need more sockets, probably five or six 2g sockets in various locations around the room.

What I am considering doing is replacing the existing socket with a 13A FCU, then from that add the five or six sockets in a line (one connected to the the other etc.). Would this be suitable? I am not running any high power devices, only chargers/a computer/a lamp etc.... This is MY ROOM, I am not having any washing machines or tumble dryers in there!! ?

If in the unlikely event it wasn't a spur and in fact on its own circuit, would adding the FCU cause any issues? Or would it merely be pointless?

Thanks

M

If it’s an existing radial, it will likely be on a 16A supply, so having a 13A FCU won’t be a problem… if it’s a spur from a ring, then yes you would need to fuse it down anyway.

In my garage-come-man cave, I run a number of double sockets for computer, cctv, battery charger etc on a spare piece of dado trunking, then a flex out of that onto a regular 13A plug

If it’s an existing radial, it will likely be on a 16A supply, so having a 13A FCU won’t be a problem… if it’s a spur from a ring, then yes you would need to fuse it down anyway.

In my garage-come-man cave, I run a number of double sockets for computer, cctv, battery charger etc on a spare piece of dado trunking, then a flex out of that onto a regular 13A plug

Thanks.

Do you know the easiest way of calculating the maximum load? Or how to work out if an appliance is suitable? The only thing I am worried might be too much is a mini fridge I am getting.

Thanks

Add up how many watts are shown on these devices you are intending to plug in.
without going in to the details, if you keep the total less than 3000w then all will be good.
avoid any electric heaters, they can be 2500w on there own.

Any appliance containing a heating element should be avoided. That includes heaters, as above… plus kettles, coffee machines etc.
a beer fridge should be ok

Reply to Replacing a 2g socket with a FCU in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net