Discuss Replacing pull switch with PIR Motion Sensor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to replace a pull switch with a PIR Motion Sensor in a cupboard/wardrobe, but it does not seem to be working.

The pull switch is connected to a cable from the ceiling, where both wires coming from the cable are brown. I this normal?

I thought that it would just be a case of putting the wire that was connected to COM in the pull switch to the Lin (Live In) on the PIR and then the wire that was connected to L2 in the pull switch to the Lout (Live Out) on the PIR. The PIR also has two N (Neutral) connections, but seeing as there are no Neutral connections in the pull switch, these are not needed.

Would anyone be kind enough to lend me their experience as to what might be going on and if this PIR setup is even possible?

Many thanks all in advance!

BrennaBoy.

The PIR needs a peminant live, switch live out to the light(s) and a neutral.

Ahhh, I see, that is a shame. I guess a normal 1 gang switch or the existing pull switch it is then!

Thanks for the reply Ian1981.

Or a PIR that does not require a neutral. They are available!

PS. What's to stop you running a neutral to the switch? Do you have access to run another cable/replace the existing cable with 3 core 7 earth.

PPS Why have the PIR where the switch is? If you look at the light itself, you'll probably find all of the connections that you need. locate the PIR near the light, job done.

Reply to Replacing pull switch with PIR Motion Sensor in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock