Discuss Replacing spur one gang socket for two gang in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I don't know where you have read that, but it is not an accurate representation of the regulations.
An unfused spur is a single cable connected to a ring circuit at an accessory or a junction box, this is permitted to feed one, and only one, point. That point can be a single socket twin socket (but not two singles), fused connection unit (FCU) or switched fused connection unit (SFCU)
A fused spur is connected to a ring circuit via an FCU or SFCU, this can supply as many points as you like as long as the cables are suitably sized etc etc.

What you have described is an unused spur feeding two points, the first point is an SFCU and the second point is the socket you wish to change. This is not permitted by the regulations.

Have you confirmed that the circuit is in fact a ring circuit? What is the rating of the circuit breaker which feed it?
Sounds a bit messed up call a sparky in mate at least you know it’s all safe and sound then ?

Its on a 32A MCB and is labelled "ring main" on the CU. The SFCU has a 13A fuse. So what they should have done in this case is connect the SFCU directly into the ring then attach 2 spur cables off of this, one to the light and one to the socket? I don't know why they didn't put the light into the lighting circuit to be honest.

Why have they used the SFCU in this way? I guess because it allows connection to two points and some protection via the fuse? Does the fuse protect both connections (light+socket)?

The single socket is attached to a freezer so that's draws current much of the time, the light has a 14W bulb and is only only for short periods while accessing the freezer. How dangerous is this? It certainly sounds like I shouldn't change the single socket for a double then as that will put the spur under more load potentially.

Thanks for the explanation.

Its on a 32A MCB and is labelled "ring main" on the CU. The SFCU has a 13A fuse. So what they should have done in this case is connect the SFCU directly into the ring then attach 2 spur cables off of this, one to the light and one to the socket? I don't know why they didn't put the light into the lighting circuit to be honest.

Why have they used the SFCU in this way? I guess because it allows connection to two points and some protection via the fuse? Does the fuse protect both connections (light+socket)?

The single socket is attached to a freezer so that's draws current much of the time, the light has a 14W bulb and is only only for short periods while accessing the freezer. How dangerous is this? It certainly sounds like I shouldn't change the single socket for a double then as that will put the spur under more load potentially.

Thanks for the explanation.
What a lighting point and a 13 Amp twin socket all protected by the same fuse in an FCU?

I'm just asking if what is there now is safe i.e. the light and the single socket off of the SFCU? Seeing as by the old regs you could have 2 singles or one double socket. Ok I have a single and a light but that would draw less current than having two sockets in use. As this doesn't meet the 18 regs I won't replace the single socket for a double as seems it won't be up to standard. What was there before is what it is, I'm not about to go around updating any electrical issue that doesn't meet the 18th as its not practical.

As this existing socket is in the understairs cupboard with a freezer plugged in what do you intend to plug in it? as if it is for anything outside of this cupboard you will have to have the door open.

I could have the door closed as the average cable will fit under the door. Anyway it's not a big deal I just initially thought it was a straightforward job that wouldn't cost much to do compared extending the circuit and having a socket put in the hall. Given what's been said will leave alone.

Fair point.
This then highlights a much bigger frustration. How can DIY work be carried out without sufficient certification.
Not sure I can answer this one.

Reply to Replacing spur one gang socket for two gang in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock