Discuss Retofit Danfoss with Ecobee 3 thermostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Palmer James

Hi,

I have a Danfoss programmable thermostat. I would like to retrofit this with a smart wifi thermostat; the Ecobee 3.

Danfoss wiring manual: http://heating.danfoss.co.uk/PCMPDF/38161v01s7-06.pdf. Page 5-10

Ecobee 3 wiring manual: https://www.ecobee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ecobee3_InstallationGuide.pdf, page 11-16, 34-36

Please can you me know if it is compatible so that I can retrofit the Danfoss thermostat with the Ecobee 3? I have been told that this requires installation of a separate timeswitch to retrofit the Danfoss with the Ecobee 3 thermostat.

Hi,

I have a Danfoss programmable thermostat. I would like to retrofit this with a smart wifi thermostat; the Ecobee 3.

Danfoss wiring manual: http://heating.danfoss.co.uk/PCMPDF/38161v01s7-06.pdf. Page 5-10

Ecobee 3 wiring manual: https://www.ecobee.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ecobee3_InstallationGuide.pdf, page 11-16, 34-36

Please can you me know if it is compatible so that I can retrofit the Danfoss thermostat with the Ecobee 3? I have been told that this requires installation of a separate timeswitch to retrofit the Danfoss with the Ecobee 3 thermostat.

This link is for a twin channel programmer not a programable thermostat.

Last edited:
Do you have a Combi boiler? If so then this will be okay on it's own. If you have a conventional system with a hot water tank then you will need some type of timer to control the hot water times.

Not a cat in hells chance!
Apart from the fact they are two different devices they also appear to be designed for two different countries. The danfoss is a standard British 2 channel programmer and the ecobee is a septic 24V thermostat

It's a
Danesmoore 15/19 utility boiler. It's a conventional system with a water boiler.

What sort of timer would I need to control the hot water times?

Do you have a Combi boiler? If so then this will be okay on it's own. If you have a conventional system with a hot water tank then you will need some type of timer to control the hot water times.

Seriously? You can't see any issue with connecting a 24V American stat to a UK 240V installation?

Seriously? You can't see any issue with connecting a 24V American stat to a UK 240V installation?
Okay Dave yes you're right I just briefly skipped through the instructions didn't spot it was 24 volts not 240 volts.

To the OP forget it it's not suitable for use in the UK. I would consider BG's hive system or similar.

I'm basically just looking for a smart wifi thermostat (as long as it's compatible and can be installed). Can you let me know which thermostats are compatible? By BG hive system I think you mean British Gas hive system

Nest or a salus IT500 are both possible options. As for fitting it as long as the electrician you employ has half a brain cell a simple domestic heating system should present no problem.

Yes I meant British Gas. With the hive you can control water and heating times through an app on your phone. It costs £199 fitted. With the nest system you can only control the heating so you would still need a timer for the water. Not sure about the Salus system Dave mentioned.

According to Amazon Salas IT500, although internet controlled, is not smart (does not store temp-time points to extrapolate a future pattern). This is key. NEST does but isn't NEST the same design as Honeywell?

Have a look at evohome , great system . We fit the base station with all our boiler installs and use it as a programmable room stat that can de added to as and when

Ok. Which thermostat is best for a 24V retrofit? Most do not say that Danfoss FS715si is compatible sadly

That danfoss unit is a programmer, not a thermostat. The two are different things although some of these smart stats mentioned will replace both programmer and thermostat.

As for the 24V bit anything with volt free output could be connected safely by a competent electrician.

Reply to Retofit Danfoss with Ecobee 3 thermostat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net