Discuss Returning to the industry. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
After about 20 years messing about as a police officer, I want to return to the industry. Back in the day before big pointy hats and 'ello 'ello 'ello, I was a time served Approved Electrician with a 16th edition qualification and a "C" course under my belt.
What do I need to get back working and can anyone recommend the best way to gain such qualifications.

A regs course/qualification would be of benefit after that much time out. Update your JIB/ECS card if you think you're going to need it for employment.

Probably worth doing the 18th exam just to refresh the old memory and bobs your uncle back in the saddle.

Just remember you have to rcd the carp out of everything now and use metal cable supports. The rest is pretty much the same as 25 years ago

Oh , also worth reading up on surge devices and arc fault interrupters as these are slowly creeping into the regs

What part don’t you agree with Pete ?
Hi Dusty, I'm sure your posts is well meaning, but in all honesty someone who has been out of the trade for some 20 years, and you say, or insinuate that an update course on BS7671 is all that is needed to get back in the saddle is all that is needed, is in my opinion, somewhat a glossy reply , lots of stuff has changed over the past 25 years.
Sorry to be disagreeing with you, there was/is no offence intended, it's just that I feel your reply was well meant, but ill advised.

Hi Dusty, I'm sure your posts is well meaning, but in all honesty someone who has been out of the trade for some 20 years, and you say, or insinuate that an update course on BS7671 is all that is needed to get back in the saddle is all that is needed, is in my opinion, somewhat a glossy reply , lots of stuff has changed over the past 25 years.
Sorry to be disagreeing with you, there was/is no offence intended, it's just that I feel your reply was well meant, but ill advised.
biggest hurdle ,Pete, will be getting used to brown/blue.most of the rest will be in BS7671.

Yes good example Tel, C min Amd 3 the list could go on but I'm sadly rather otherwise engaged.

a study of the book (7671, 18th.)should highlight most of the changes. it's still the same electrickery.

a study of the book (7671, 18th.)should highlight most of the changes. it's still the same electrickery.
Not entirely true Tel 25 years ago, 2 years ago it was 240V single phase and 415 V 3 phase today as you well know it's 230V and 400V 3 phase

I have dipped in and out of the trade over the past 20-25years.
It really hasn’t changed all that much.
Unless you literally moved abroad in 1990 and only returning today you will know we moved over to brown blue harmony and know about Partpee.
You can read up on the 17th and 18th over a weekend to catch up.
It’s a bit like riding a bike :)

The OP is a ‘qualified and time served’ not a newbie

That’s really not that long Pete ,

Most of the theory and practical from then will be exactly the same now

Just need to familiarise with the current regs

as you well know it's 230V and 400V 3 phase

try attaching a meter.it's still 240 and 415. the lower values are just EU fantasy world.

After about 20 years messing about as a police officer, I want to return to the industry. Back in the day before big pointy hats and 'ello 'ello 'ello, I was a time served Approved Electrician with a 16th edition qualification and a "C" course under my belt.
What do I need to get back working and can anyone recommend the best way to gain such qualifications.

I did something similar to your good self. As well as the latest addition to BS7671, I would recommended a testing & inspection course, eye opener for me when back in my day, all we had was a test lamp & megger.

You need to think about your business model, unless your going PAYE. If its self employed, its tools. testers, van, insurance, accountant, ohh and getting some work to earn a crust.

Thanks. To be honest, as I am out of the loop, I was thinking of re qualifying with then 18th and taking some work as a mate until I was back in my stride. I know things have changed and new wiring systems, practices will be a challenge.
Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. I am sorry one of you has taken against me, possibly due to my previous job, but there you go. Are there any particular 18th edition training companies that anyone would recommend.

I take it Neil you are referring to my reply, let me explain I'm not against you getting back into the electrical Trade, good luck to yo infact. What I disagreed to the advice given, "catch up over the weekend" it will be more intense than that, it's an insult to Practicing Electricians to sense that after a 29 year layoff, by reading up over the weekend and sitting the 18th, will get you back into the grove. Laughable really, but I meant no malice, just that you must realise it will take more than a good read to be able to regain your skills, good luck, any way.
I'm sure if the boot was on the other foot and someone had posted that they had been a Policeman 25 years ago, and wanted to return to that profession, reading up on the latest developments over the weekend would elicit the same sort of response.

I take it Neil you are referring to my reply, let me explain I'm not against you getting back into the electrical Trade, good luck to yo infact. What I disagreed to the advice given, "catch up over the weekend" it will be more intense than that, it's an insult to Practicing Electricians to sense that after a 29 year layoff, by reading up over the weekend and sitting the 18th, will get you back into the grove. Laughable really, but I meant no malice, just that you must realise it will take more than a good read to be able to regain your skills, good luck, any way.

I dont know where you got 29 years from. I accept your somewhat grudging apology. I am not entirely stupid. I was in the game for 20 + years and I am not expecting to sit the exam and all will be great. I am 20 years older and will take time to readjust to what has no doubt been a dramatic change over the last 20 years. However I am going to re qualify and I will try to get work as a mate until I can find my feet again. Assuming that I would just carry on as if the last 20 years had not happened is ridiculous.

Reply to Returning to the industry. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock