• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Returning to the industry. in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectriciansForums.net

Neil Wilkins

New EF Member
After about 20 years messing about as a police officer, I want to return to the industry. Back in the day before big pointy hats and 'ello 'ello 'ello, I was a time served Approved Electrician with a 16th edition qualification and a "C" course under my belt.
What do I need to get back working and can anyone recommend the best way to gain such qualifications.

Andy78

Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
A regs course/qualification would be of benefit after that much time out. Update your JIB/ECS card if you think you're going to need it for employment.

Dustydazzler

Regular EF Member
Probably worth doing the 18th exam just to refresh the old memory and bobs your uncle back in the saddle.

Just remember you have to rcd the carp out of everything now and use metal cable supports. The rest is pretty much the same as 25 years ago

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
What part don’t you agree with Pete ?
Hi Dusty, I'm sure your posts is well meaning, but in all honesty someone who has been out of the trade for some 20 years, and you say, or insinuate that an update course on BS7671 is all that is needed to get back in the saddle is all that is needed, is in my opinion, somewhat a glossy reply , lots of stuff has changed over the past 25 years.
Sorry to be disagreeing with you, there was/is no offence intended, it's just that I feel your reply was well meant, but ill advised.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
Hi Dusty, I'm sure your posts is well meaning, but in all honesty someone who has been out of the trade for some 20 years, and you say, or insinuate that an update course on BS7671 is all that is needed to get back in the saddle is all that is needed, is in my opinion, somewhat a glossy reply , lots of stuff has changed over the past 25 years.
Sorry to be disagreeing with you, there was/is no offence intended, it's just that I feel your reply was well meant, but ill advised.
biggest hurdle ,Pete, will be getting used to brown/blue.most of the rest will be in BS7671.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Yes good example Tel, C min Amd 3 the list could go on but I'm sadly rather otherwise engaged.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
a study of the book (7671, 18th.)should highlight most of the changes. it's still the same electrickery.

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
a study of the book (7671, 18th.)should highlight most of the changes. it's still the same electrickery.
Not entirely true Tel 25 years ago, 2 years ago it was 240V single phase and 415 V 3 phase today as you well know it's 230V and 400V 3 phase

Dustydazzler

Regular EF Member
I have dipped in and out of the trade over the past 20-25years.
It really hasn’t changed all that much.
Unless you literally moved abroad in 1990 and only returning today you will know we moved over to brown blue harmony and know about Partpee.
You can read up on the 17th and 18th over a weekend to catch up.
It’s a bit like riding a bike :)

Dustydazzler

Regular EF Member
That’s really not that long Pete ,

Most of the theory and practical from then will be exactly the same now

Just need to familiarise with the current regs

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
as you well know it's 230V and 400V 3 phase

try attaching a meter.it's still 240 and 415. the lower values are just EU fantasy world.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.