Discuss Re-skilling as a old guy! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

rich66

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the best place to post but here goes!

I'm over 50 and not working at the moment (semi retired) but I'd like to get back into some hands on work, ideally self employed in the electrical trade.

I did an apprenticeship back in the late 80's in Electronic Engineering and got an HNC. Work wise, I went into software development then teamed up with 2 other guys to set up a business. That was successful, ended up in management in a big corp that bought our business.

I have a reasonable knowledge of electrical principles and basic domestic circuits, also some knowledge of the supply grid from previous work.

I know 'domestic installer' is a bit of a swear word in the electrical industry but for the work I'd like to do, it probably is the best description. I'm not looking to do full time installation work in commercial premises, offices or factories, just modest jobs for domestic customers, locally.

I don't really want to try and take on a full time apprenticeship, but I do understand why this is the best approach.

What options do I have with regards to geeting appropriate qualifications? Can I get Part P 18th and Inspection and Test and they try applying for a Competent Person scheme? Should I look at going for the full set of qualifications, Level 2,3 and NVQ. (I know the NVQ requires getting a job with a qualified electrician).

I read/watched all the stuff on how bad the fast track courses are, but given that one of those suppliers is actually City & Guilds, I not sure that's so true anymore. At least they are now telling people that they will need to get a job before qualifiying and doing the NVQ to complete the qualifications instead of promising the world after you part with your £12k...

What are my options? Am I on a hiding to nothing?

Any advice welcome!

What options do I have with regards to geeting appropriate qualifications? Can I get Part P 18th and Inspection and Test and they try applying for a Competent Person scheme?
Nope. There isn't a 'Part P' qualification that's worth anything and without an NVQ you can't get on the schemes now.
Should I look at going for the full set of qualifications, Level 2,3 and NVQ. (I know the NVQ requires getting a job with a qualified electrician).
This is the quickest way for you, especially if you can fast track the 2/3 and then get out with someone.
I read/watched all the stuff on how bad the fast track courses are, but given that one of those suppliers is actually City & Guilds, I not sure that's so true anymore.
It's the exact same content, you just do it quicker. They will teach you next to zero about actually installing whether you do them over 2 years or 2 months. It's all theory.
At least they are now telling people that they will need to get a job before qualifiying and doing the NVQ to complete the qualifications instead of promising the world after you part with your £12k...

What are my options? Am I on a hiding to nothing?

Any advice welcome!
Options are varied depending on how you want to do it.

You can do the courses quickly and then find work. You can find work then do night courses. You can do a nightcourse for the level 2 and work at the same time and then do the level 3 through a fast track, then straight onto the NVQ. There are loads of routes.

Personally, if i had the money i'd smash out the 2/3 and get them out the way, then get straight on the NVQ. The problem when you're already working is taking 35 days off work to get them done adds an extra 6 grand onto the cost.

Last edited:

Reply to Re-skilling as a old guy! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net