Discuss Returning to the industry. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I dont know where you got 29 years from. I accept your somewhat grudging apology. I am not entirely stupid. I was in the game for 20 + years and I am not expecting to sit the exam and all will be great. I am 20 years older and will take time to readjust to what has no doubt been a dramatic change over the last 20 years. However I am going to re qualify and I will try to get work as a mate until I can find my feet again. Assuming that I would just carry on as if the last 20 years had not happened is ridiculous.
I meant 25 years Neil

I dont know where you got 29 years from. I accept your somewhat grudging apology. I am not entirely stupid. I was in the game for 20 + years and I am not expecting to sit the exam and all will be great. I am 20 years older and will take time to readjust to what has no doubt been a dramatic change over the last 20 years. However I am going to re qualify and I will try to get work as a mate until I can find my feet again. Assuming that I would just carry on as if the last 20 years had not happened is ridiculous.
don't mindpete.he'sa grumpy old sod at the best of times :D:D:D:D. no offence pete. you should know me by now.:p:p:p

here's me and pete on a night out. was it my stag night or pete's?
Returning to the industry. upload_2019-3-19_19-43-13 - EletriciansForums.net

The only thing that's really changed is the standard of work, its a lot poorer than 20 years ago. I would not work as a mate or anything to get back in the swing of it. Do the 18th edition in evening at a college so its last about 12 weeks and get yourself an onsite guide and get out there. Your need the 18th edition and ecs health and safety exam to renew your JIB card to the current Gold Card to get on a lot of sites now. The better sites anyway.

Going back to my reply, I did what you are proposing you intending to do :D. Do some courses, as suggested. Then do some subbying for other contractors, learn your skills again, pick up recent techniques and latest materials.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm also time served and have the old City & Guilds (applied for a copy certificate as lost the original). I've been out of the game since 2000 but not completely as whilst living in France I've done 3 house refurbs and kept my hand in. My intention is to do a part P course and take the exam, complete an 18th edition course and do the exam. I will then consider my options from there. I will probably apply to some scheme to be assessed just to prove it to myself that I am "up to date". You can get back in the game it might just require some studying and a couple of exams.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm also time served and have the old City & Guilds (applied for a copy certificate as lost the original). I've been out of the game since 2000 but not completely as whilst living in France I've done 3 house refurbs and kept my hand in. My intention is to do a part P course and take the exam, complete an 18th edition course and do the exam. I will then consider my options from there. I will probably apply to some scheme to be assessed just to prove it to myself that I am "up to date". You can get back in the game it might just require some studying and a couple of exams.

A "part P" course is just a building regs awareness course. You can download all of the building regulation approved documents for free and/or buy an IET book called the electrician's guide to the building regulations for much cheaper.

A "part P" course is just a building regs awareness course. You can download all of the building regulation approved documents for free and/or buy an IET book called the electrician's guide to the building regulations for much cheaper.

Kinda agree with Andy. I did a one day 'Part P' course which I tagged onto the end of my initial testing inspection course. It was interesting to go over all the other Building Regs, not just P. But it was just a quickie look, only so much you can do in a day. Can't remember how much I paid, but I would do one just on its own.

20 years on from last working as an electrician. I have just passed my 18th edition. Do I need part P?. Also do I need the test and inspection ticket to sign my own work off. It's getting bloody expensive and I have yet to earn a single penny. In your opinion, what is the best way for me to get back into the swing of things. I know things are different to 20 years ago so I need to update my skills.

Neil,you well know that electrical theory does not change, in that respect unless you have one very bad case of memory fade you will be fine

Practically you may be a little rusty, working alongside another spark seems like a sensible thing to do, both for your confidence and to become familiar with any important changes that can be highlighted
However,the crux of the matter is that your training and your experience will most likely far exceed what is accepted nowadays in this trade

Try not to underestimate what standard you likely bring to the table
All the best

20 years on from last working as an electrician. I have just passed my 18th edition. Do I need part P?. Also do I need the test and inspection ticket to sign my own work off. It's getting bloody expensive and I have yet to earn a single penny. In your opinion, what is the best way for me to get back into the swing of things. I know things are different to 20 years ago so I need to update my skills.

It depends on what work you'll be taking on. If the lions share is domestic, you'll need to join a Scheme. They will like you to have an NVQ3 qually or similar, inspection & testing qual as well.

As said before, I did something very similar to yourself, cost a lot and didn't work out for me. Think long & hard; lots of competition out there, and some of your domestic customer's will be expecting very cheap quotations.

Hi Neil, I know this thread is a few years old now but how did you progress this?

Reply to Returning to the industry. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock