Discuss Rewiring maintained emergency lights be non emergency! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

So I'd like a maintained emergency light but without the automatic emergency function to trigger in the event of power failure. In other words I'd like a light connected to the mains that has a battery back up in the event of a power failure but I don't want it to come on automatically. Only for my convenience.

Do you think this would be easy to achieve with a standard maintained emergency light? What kind of rewiring would you anticipate that I would have to do?

Cheers

Spynage

NB. Thinking about this some more this is potentially quite an obvious fix, but i'd like to hear your thought anyway. Cheers!

Last edited:
I don’t know of any emergency light fitting that you can force to be off in the event of a power failure.
obviously there are ways to do it but not with an unmodified off the shelf unit.

I don’t know of any emergency light fitting that you can force to be off in the event of a power failure.
obviously there are ways to do it but not with an unmodified off the shelf unit.
I have a 3hr EM light in my garage, and have always thought it would be a bit of a waste after a power cut to burn through the 3hrs of light when I only need to go in there now and again to retrieve the candles, generator, etc. It would be far more useful to me to have the EM light function on a switch.

I miss read that.
What you can do is take the wires going from the pcb to the battery and put a switch on the live.

Just done something similar with a scrap twin spot that mate wants to use in his garage.
He can charge it up at home then when he needs it switch on and with no supply it will light up

If the battery is to be kept charged, it needs to remain connected, rather than switched. The output from the battery to the driver perhaps needs switching. All using the one switch to turn the light on/off during normal (mains powered) operation.

If the battery is to be kept charged, it needs to remain connected, rather than switched. The output from the battery to the driver perhaps needs switching. All using the one switch to turn the light on/off during normal (mains powered) operation.
Thanks. That's basically what I concluded whilst writing my post. Now I'm thinking though why do I need to but an emergency light unit anyway? It would be fairly straightforward to build something like that with a far greater battery life.

Thanks. That's basically what I concluded whilst writing my post. Now I'm thinking though why do I need to but an emergency light unit anyway? It would be fairly straightforward to build something like that with a far greater battery life.

Just keep a decent LED torch or lamp handy with some fresh (non rechargeable) batteries in it. Get a lot more than 30 mins use out of it.

Put the switch on the output leads from the pcb to the plate with the LEDs on it.

Battery remains connected, remains charging.

You’ll get a better light from LED than old T8 tube and cheap as chips nowadays.

Hi.

Can I expect any problems from swapping the batteries in the light? I'm hoping that all that happens is the battery takes proportionately longer to charge up. Or will it stress and overheat the charging transformer?

They are both 3.6 v units.

Thanks

Attachments

• Rewiring maintained emergency lights be non emergency! maintained emergency light - EletriciansForums.net
    maintained emergency light.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 8
Put the switch on the output leads from the pcb to the plate with the LEDs on it.

Battery remains connected, remains charging.

You’ll get a better light from LED than old T8 tube and cheap as chips nowadays.
Yeah did that. I used bell wire. Little tricky to terminate though. Works well enough at the moment. It seemed to turn itself off at first after a while of not being on but keeping the connection in L-SL seems to correct it.

Reply to Rewiring maintained emergency lights be non emergency! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock