Discuss Ring main help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark.W

-
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance on a ring main please?
The ring consists of 21 CCTV columns drawing 5A each. The total length of the ring will be 1600m.

Is there a calculation I can use to calculate correct cable size and breaker rating?

Many Thanks
Mark

you know the load so start with a cable that can handle that. then work out your csa from calculation. mV/A/m needs to be determined from Amps and length. then size cable accordingly.

Insulting behaviour reproted. Incidentally, if you don't know how to design a circuit then you're in the wrong job mate. Anyway, enjoy the rest of your time here because I suspect it won't be long

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks telectrix

I know how to do cable calcs but it's working out the ringmain. I know the rule of thumb of 100ft per circuit incorporating sockets etc etc but never installed a ringmain of this size! Can't find anything in regs book either?!?

Thread cleaned up and reopened. Please keep all replies on topic and civil.

Hi

I was wondering if someone could give me some guidance on a ring main please?
The ring consists of 21 CCTV columns drawing 5A each. The total length of the ring will be 1600m.

Is there a calculation I can use to calculate correct cable size and breaker rating?

Many Thanks
Mark

I tried to reply earlier but the thread was locked, apparently someone has been abusive or something?

The OCPD rating can be calculated the same as any other circuit, you work out Ib then select an appropriate OCPD. If it is a ringmain (distribution cct) you want then an HRC fuse might be a better idea than a circuit breaker.

Your cable size will almost certainly be dictated by the VD rather than the CCC of the cables. There is a formula in the regs somewhere for calculating the VD of a ring circuit.

I tried to reply earlier but the thread was locked, apparently someone has been abusive or something?

The OCPD rating can be calculated the same as any other circuit, you work out Ib then select an appropriate OCPD. If it is a ringmain (distribution cct) you want then an HRC fuse might be a better idea than a circuit breaker.

Your cable size will almost certainly be dictated by the VD rather than the CCC of the cables. There is a formula in the regs somewhere for calculating the VD of a ring circuit.

Formula for VD on a ring is
mV/A/M x ib x L / 1000 / 4

Something sounds so wrong here..

What voltage are the cctv running on?
Is 5amp at a SELV or does each column have a mains as in the ring you are supplying.
What is demanding this 5Amps - surely all columns cannot be demnding this at the same time ....

Lots more info please

Most external cctv are suppied with 230v, then selved down to 12v 2amps (aprox 30w)......therefore your mains supply in is in mA not amps.

Agree with Tazz, I bet the OP has listed the DC current consumption rather than the AC supply consumption. Daz

if he has then it will be the most over specced rfc ever. just imagine a few cctv cameras powered by a 95mm rfc.

Reply to Ring main help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net