Discuss Roller shutter stuck in halfway position in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TonyD

-
Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and thank you in advance for any assistance. I have a large roller shutter on my patio doors, which last evening stuck halfway. There is a buzzing sound from the control buttons. I appreciate it may not be electrical specific but can anyone advise how the shutter is lowered to allow access to the motor. The shutter has no manual over ride and will not lower if pressure applied. Thanks in advance

Depending on the make and model, manual operation can vary:
Some don’t even have them - for security reasons..
The buzzing could be 1 of many things, faulty relay, switch, loose wire, etc..
A multi meter in the right hands for 10 minutes would soon have it sorted

Does the roller shutter have a sensor on the bottom to sense if it contacts anything as it's closing? If so, this could be faulty or it may have a battery powered transmitter to send the stop signal - the battery may be flat.

Hello Charlie thank you for the reply. I should have been more specific, the buzzing is coming from the motor, which is unaccessbile due to the shutter not being fully closed.

Sounds like the shutter is jammed, though it could be that water has entered the control box, and is sending a signal to the motor to both raise and lower at the same time.
Switch off at the isolator or fuse box and check the channels either side for debris.

though it could be that water has entered the control box, and is sending a signal to the motor to both raise and lower at the same time.

Not possible. Would simply go bang.

If it's a newer door (not installed pre 2004) it would be both mechanically and electrically interlocked to stop this from happening, as all reversing starters should be.

If it hums in either the up or down option it is usually one of 2 things, mechanically jammed or the motor capacitor has failed, these roller shutters often use a tubular single phase motor, I cannot say how you get at it as it varies with brand and model but once you access the motor if you disengage or remove it from the shutter and then try it it is often self evident if it was mechanically or electrical fault.

PS - if it is the common tubular motor it is often the case the capacitor is hidden within the tube itself.

OP could always buy a convertible. :D:D:D

Reply to Roller shutter stuck in halfway position in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock