Discuss Running 35mm armoured overhead in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
A farmer wants me to run a new supply to a building, it's to be run in 35mm armoured, part of the route is a 25m overhead span between buildings, is this okay for the cable or should I be getting an extra pole in the middle put in to take the weight

is going underground out of the question?

25 of 35mm SWA is going to be heavy, very heavy, as Tel asked why can't you take it underground between the two buildings? I expect like most Farmers they want a cheap job and b--ger the safety aspect. The regulations tell you the spacing for horizontal and vertical clipping etc, I would of thought that experience would tell you that the method you are talking about is IMO a no no.

How many cores in this cable? I'm asking this so that you think about the weight of the cable across the span. For example a 3 core 35mm weighs approximately 2Kg/M so this would be 50Kg. Imo this should be supported across the full length of the span using an appropriate catenary system.

A cable of that size run overhead should be fully supported and usually with heavy duty cable ladder, this would also require frequent support poles as you have to account for the weight of the ladder too and its max unsupported recommendations (at a guess every 5m) and been a farm then at a suitable height for farm plant to cross under even with any folks etc raised.

I would be seriously looking into burying this given the cost and obvious hazards having a overhead system with multiple supports would present on a farm.

Last edited:
Yes it's 3 core armoured, the overhead part is not in a.through vehicle route and not possible to go underground as it's over a few smaller sheds

Can a ladder system be fixed to the existing sheds, plus what stops you going around the sheds - a straight line isn't always possible .... just shots in the dark of course but info for us is lacking.

What about using a catenary wire. You can then cable tie it to that but like already said, try to work out the weight of the cable first.

35mm SWA on a catenary wire cable tied ,imagin that in the wind would last 5 mins , only real method for that enviroment is under ground in ducting

Oops missed that bit!!...ha ha
if there are no supports over the 25m i recon it might dislodge a brick before landing on the ground

thats only my opinion i have never used catinery wire so i honestly don't know but i recon the manufacturer's will have the recommended support distances with loadings in there paperwork

Last edited:
used cateenary wire loads of times normally over short distances but not over that distance and with that size cable

Yes it's 3 core armoured, the overhead part is not in a.through vehicle route and not possible to go underground as it's over a few smaller sheds
You need to completely redesign the whole job, it is not possible to support a cable that size on cateenery wire over that distance, a rethink, no point trying to continue down the cateenery route, just pointless.

A cable of that size run overhead should be fully supported and usually with heavy duty cable ladder, this would also require frequent support poles as you have to account for the weight of the ladder too and its max unsupported recommendations (at a guess every 5m) and been a farm then at a suitable height for farm plant to cross under even with any folks etc raised.

I would be seriously looking into burying this given the cost and obvious hazards having a overhead system with multiple supports would present on a farm.
Good advice, I agree a ladder with supports or get it in the ground.

Reply to Running 35mm armoured overhead in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock