Discuss Safety! Am I really that old??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Back in my day (god I am old) we were taught to check an inspect a wooden ladder to make sure it's safe, no assumptions were to made until you checked it for yourself... Then you used common sense on how to use it safety. It's a trait I still apply today.

Perhaps we are being soft as to who is suitable for the building industry and common sense is no longer a requirement

I was about 15 when I first learnt to make a 'hop up' from 4x2 and I still make one now whenever doing a new build. Specific to the height of the ceilings there is no better...

We used to make tool totes out of flooring, as well as totes for screw clips etc, 15mm copper pipe for handle, dirty old carpenters Gladstone bag for the tools we didn't need that day, B&Q Screwfix never heard of them in those days, none of yer posh tool bags costing more now than we got in a week.
Joists covered in snow mud up to yer eye balls drilling joists with a hand driven wheel brace, or an Auger, battery drills huh we should be so lucky, men where men in them days, hard as nails, no toilets, some of the more rougher types used to do number twos under the floor, unwanted sarnies chucked down the nearest cavity, got to stop now I'm filling up.

:grouphug::rant::50:

We used to make tool totes out of flooring, as well as totes for screw clips etc, 15mm copper pipe for handle, dirty old carpenters Gladstone bag for the tools we didn't need that day, B&Q Screwfix never heard of them in those days, none of yer posh tool bags costing more now than we got in a week.
Joists covered in snow mud up to yer eye balls drilling joists with a hand driven wheel brace, or an Auger, battery drills huh we should be so lucky, men where men in them days, hard as nails, no toilets, some of the more rougher types used to do number twos under the floor, unwanted sarnies chucked down the nearest cavity, got to stop now I'm filling up.

:grouphug::rant::50:

In the Geordieland shipyards they used to do them in any welders' gauntlet that was lying around on the job.

Then cackle with glee when its owner put it on ....

I think the quote brain over braun springs to mind in your case. When you loose an eye or cant here the burglar downstairs, i will be the one laughing...

I drink beer, smoke cigarettes, race fast cars, shoot guns and chase dodgy women, dying or harming myself on a building site is the least of my worries!

I wear steelies every day since I lost the end off my big toe when I was 18 :(
I'm 50 now and work in an office but I still wear them!
I also find I wear glasses when grinding...... because I am as blind as a bat without them lol

Maybe you're not as skilled with a Stanley as you think.
ha, very good.... To be honest I can't remember the last time I slashed myself with a Stanley (I have an obsession with using new blades) .... It's usually the rusty nails under floorboards or blunt screwdrivers I impale myself on!

I wear steelies every day since I lost the end off my big toe when I was 18 :(
I'm 50 now and work in an office but I still wear them!
I also find I wear glasses when grinding...... because I am as blind as a bat without them lol

My cousin slipped cutting the grass with a Flymo at home . His foot went under the cutter and took the end off his big toe.
You just never know when it is going to happen.

ha, very good.... To be honest I can't remember the last time I slashed myself with a Stanley (I have an obsession with using new blades) .... It's usually the rusty nails under floorboards or blunt screwdrivers I impale myself on!

Yes, I think you're more likely to get hurt using a blunt blade than a nice sharp new one - well I know I am.

I don't think it's anything to do with your age. I have worked under plenty guys who will be in their late 60s/early 70s now who always drummed into me the virtues of ear defenders, gloves, goggles, knife safety, safe isolation, never using ladders unfooted etc.
Mind you, the same guys showed me some working practices never to be repeated on an open forum too.

Do as i say not as i do XD i know the type and i do some of those things as well.

i was 4m up in a unit with legs wrapped around a steel beam while i threw it over the beam before i went down and started to climb a large ladder to connect the high bay lighting.

ive used a battery cherry picker after just being thrown the keys with the famous last words, " you will figure it out" take it out into the carpark to get used to the controls

Back in my day (god I am old) we were taught to check an inspect a wooden ladder to make sure it's safe, no assumptions were to made until you checked it for yourself... Then you used common sense on how to use it safety. It's a trait I still apply today.

Perhaps we are being soft as to who is suitable for the building industry and common sense is no longer a requirement

that was more to do with woodrot, ive watched a gardener when a wooden set fell apart when they were at the top :devilish: funiest thing id seen all week

Do as i say not as i do XD i know the type and i do some of those things as well.

i was 4m up in a unit with legs wrapped around a steel beam while i threw it over the beam before i went down and started to climb a large ladder to connect the high bay lighting.

ive used a battery cherry picker after just being thrown the keys with the famous last words, " you will figure it out" take it out into the carpark to get used to the controls

Most old plant operators , farm machinery operators etc learned this way, once they had the gist of at least one machine.

Reply to Safety! Am I really that old??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net