Discuss Sauna Heater Help! - What Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Weezy

-
Reaction score
As short as possible.
My customer has brought a sauna heater that’s made in the USA the manual is VERY poor, it states that the cable to the heater should be ‘REVE or equivalent’
I took the manual to Edmundsons Electircal wholesalers and they had no clue what that was...

Ed’s said they would look into it, not heard back from them.

I emailed the manufacture in USA, not heard back from them.

Iv done some research and i believe sauna heaters normally range from 75 degree’s to 98 degree’s.

Ordinary pvc t&e cannot be used Swa cannot be used.
Iv read that you can buy H07rn-f cable but this is only rated to 85degrees. So surely this won’t do?

I also read some electricians use HTF cable? i also asked Ed’s for any of this which he also had no idea on...

I did think of using Butyl cable but i’m not 100% sure what it’s current rating is? ideally i need 6mm but it seems almost impossible to buy, they do sell 4mm but is 4mm butyl rated at 32amps like normal T&E pvc/pvc 4mm?

So i’m totally at a lost end, part of me is thinking will the temps ever reach 98 degrees, what do i do?

p.s I really don’t want to use pyro...

Is the sauna capable of running on the changed frequency and voltage?
Any chance if taking a pic of the manual and posting it up.

Has the sauna come with its own small length of cable?
I have wired saunas in H07 and HTC.
The last one I installed was in 5 core H07 (3 phase)
All the cabling was concealed within the timber seating and the base of the sauna was also concealed within the seating structure..
Section 703 is useful for further guidance..
Have you got make and models..
Frequency isn’t an issue but the voltage will be if it hasn’t been manufactured for sale in the UK..
Many saunas have voltage selectors fitted

You will be very lucky to get useful unbiased advice from a wholesalers..
We are the experts and they need us to specify the relevant information..
If you want like for like comparisons of cables from different countries then you need to got the manufacturers or to basec for that expertise

think you'll find that 75 - 98 deg. is fahrenheit. 98. C would boil your blood.

or fathoms.

I don't believe the inside of a sauna will ever reach 98C!

Within the sauna? Never knew that - seems a tad high.

Some will go to 140 - 160 deg C for brief periods of time.

There's a real stupid competition in a country (can't remember off hand) that people compete to see how long they can stay inside for.

I want to say it's a Scandinavian country. Seem to remember reading about it as they were considering banning it after a competitor died.

I want to say it's a Scandinavian country. Seem to remember reading about it as they were considering banning it after a competitor died.

Should be in the Darwin Awards.

Should be in the Darwin Awards.

Only reason I remember it as I quite frequently worked in 50 - 55deg C temps near the kilns an it used to knacker me.

It only takes a 2 or 3 deg increase internally and you're real ill or dying. Couldn't believe the human body could take that sort of temperature.

I know I couldn't stick my hand on a piece of metal that hot without being burned.

I do wonder though if this is the temperature of the coals/heating elements rather than the air in the room. It must be.

I do wonder though if this is the temperature of the coals/heating elements rather than the air in the room. It must be.

I'd hope it was. I think 100deg C air might not be very good for the lungs and airway.

The 85c I mentioned earlier was shown on a thermometer hanging on the wall of the sauna.
I'd hope it was. I think 100deg C air might not be very good for the lungs and airway.
I don't like it much, found it very difficult to breathe in the hot dry air.

Reply to Sauna Heater Help! - What Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock