Discuss Sealing with Silicone Sealant in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanBrown

Can anyone confirm whether you can seal using silicone sealant where cables are in contact?, ive been told by my electrician im training with, that this is not allowed as it causes the cables to de-grade..

Agre with the J man there. I've used it many times in the past and ahve never had any problems with it.

Has anyone ever used the Magic-Gel sealant, awesome it is.

Think he maybe confusing silicone sealent with expanding foam or some of the older intumescent fire sealent, these contain ingredients that can break down the pvc of cables.

Mark

the magic gel looks good stuff i have used the pirelli compoud for years never any problem
with it but might just give the gel a go do most wholesalers stock it

Hi guys, there is creosote in the PVC sheathing to make it more flexible. the chemicals in the silicone sealant react with this drawing it out of the PVC making it go hard and brittle

I agreee - Do NOT use silicone. I just dug up 2 sealed conduit boxes I had sealed with a top grade silicone. The insulation resistance had caused the breaker to keep tripping. When I opened it up there was moisture around the cables, which had hydroscopially crept right up to the joint.
Even the crimp on connectors had rotted. - It's a lot more expensive, but Magic Gel is the thing to use as a potting compound.

QUOTE=dazza69;34372]Hi guys, there is creosote in the PVC sheathing to make it more flexible. the chemicals in the silicone sealant react with this drawing it out of the PVC making it go hard and brittle[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, there USED to be an issue with certain chemicals causing degradation to the particular PVC recipe used for cables, however it was only ever for a couple of cable makers and they have long since changed the recipes they use. Therefore, in 2012 there should be no issues. BUT....there's silicone and then there's cheap sealers that pretend to be silicone..... so you get what you pay for.

This is also similar to the old tales about how mice love cable because the older stuff used sugar as a constituent. The truth is out there somewhere.

******* EDIT **********
Just seen the original date on this thread!!! Why has someone gone dragging it up???????????!!

Just seen the original date on this thread!!! Why has someone gone dragging it up???????????!!

Sir, sir

It was that new boy Gyhllwood. Shall I take him to the prefects?

Sealing with Silicone Sealant {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Sir, sir

It was that new boy Gyhllwood. Shall I take him to the prefects?

Sealing with Silicone Sealant {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Let's not completely bugger his day up.

Reply to Sealing with Silicone Sealant in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock