Search the forum,

Discuss Secondary Switchboard for kitchen from Primary Switchboard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I believed it was a better solution, neater because all switches are in one place and I can house the CU inside a cabinet.

The motivation was both functional and aesthetic as the kitchen is open plan.

In the continent people do not put switches and fuses for each appliance as well as they do not do rings. The circuit is radial running a cable from the main switchboard to the appliance or socket.

I was reading somewhere that the practice to do rings is typical of the uk and that radial circuits are safer.

Re. plugs... you are close, lol, I found some plugs that get mounted underneath the wall cabinets and one of them will be mounted on the worktop.

I am trying to do something safe, practical and aesthetic.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. Please keep them coming, I need to find a suitable solution.

So far I understand that general consensus is:

6mm cable from main CU is too small
25mm cable from main CU is too big

A 10mm cable should be enough to feed the secondary CU

40 Amp Circuit breaker on the secondary CU should suffice for a normal use of the appliances in the kitchen

PS No, no do not watch TV... I am originally Italian though and we probably got a chip to make things look nice.

You need to find a competent Electrician matey.,

I believed it was a better solution, neater because all switches are in one place and I can house the CU inside a cabinet.

Though this is a fairly common practice for commercial establishments, it's not a by any means a good practice especially for domestic installations, and the idea should be forgotten...

The motivation was both functional and aesthetic as the kitchen is open plan.

In the continent people do not put switches and fuses for each appliance as well as they do not do rings. The circuit is radial running a cable from the main switchboard to the appliance or socket.

Forget the continent, you are working to BS7671 in the UK. Rings and radials both have their place in kitchen installations and both are completely safe when installed correctly by competent electricians. You'll find that most socket MCB's on the continent are also Double Pole, which they are not in the UK. Don't try and emulate another countries standards, when you don't fully understand them.

I was reading somewhere that the practice to do rings is typical of the uk and that radial circuits are safer.

Then you have been reading rubbish!! lol!!

Re. plugs... you are close, lol, I found some plugs that get mounted underneath the wall cabinets and one of them will be mounted on the worktop.

Well i'm glad to hear that your not hiding sockets for small appliances in the cabinets, that would be waiting for an accident to happen!!

I am trying to do something safe, practical and aesthetic.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS. Please keep them coming, I need to find a suitable solution.

So far I understand that general consensus is:

6mm cable from main CU is too small
25mm cable from main CU is too big

A 10mm cable should be enough to feed the secondary CU

40 Amp Circuit breaker on the secondary CU should suffice for a normal use of the appliances in the kitchen

PS No, no do not watch TV... I am originally Italian though and we probably got a chip to make things look nice.

Again, as others have told you, get your actual installation advice from a qualified, competent and experienced electrician. And for gods sake forget about using MCB's as your appliance switches, their are other methods to achieve what your wanting to do!!

when you say "underneath the wall cupboards", i sincerely hope you mean on the wall and not fixed to the cupboards themselves!.

I would take all feeds from your original fuseboard to a grid switch in the kitchen, scrap the local fuseboard and click do I nice range of modules to mix and match and if your not sure get someone in it will cost alot more if you undersize or miss a cable out!!

Yes Ian, Keniff was starting to give advice and I was tempted to comment like you did.
There are times to advise and times advisable not to.

Boydy

when you say "underneath the wall cupboards", i sincerely hope you mean on the wall and not fixed to the cupboards themselves!.

I ''think'' he means something along the lines of one of these.... Fixing to wall and wall cabinet. He would better off using the trunking rather than the individual modules. He can then mount and change position of outlets as and where required. My even be able to fit his grid type switches using one of these systems too...

Marshall Tufflex> Home > Cable Management > Domestic / Commercial Trunking > Bench Trunking

Marshall Tufflex> Home > Cable Management > Domestic / Commercial Trunking > Bench Trunking

Not sure if he is thinking along the lines of the ''pop-up'' worktop fitted socket outlets?? I hope not, they are basically just a fancy extension lead affair

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds more like he wants to do it his way and stuff the regs
LOL it sounds like one of those threads which goes:
"can I do this?"
"not really, no - there are much better ways of doing it"
"yes but can I do this?"
"it's really not a good idea"
"but do the regs expressly forbid it?"
"the regs don't work like that"
"so there's nothing which says I can't do it?"
"sigh."

Apparently in Italy you can't use several appliances at the same time without it all tripping out. They just seem to accept it as a fact of life.

Reply to Secondary Switchboard for kitchen from Primary Switchboard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net