Discuss Segregation of emergency lighting cables? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi
Segregation of emergency lighting cables? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
I have installed a lighting circuit which has emergency with (integral battery packs) and non emergency lights on the same circuit (from the same MCB). The are wired in PVC twin and earth cable.
The British standard for emergency lighting states the following,
IEE Guidance Note 4 refers to BS5266, of which Section 8.2.1 states: ‘Cables used for the connection of an escape lighting luminaire to the standby power supply should…possess inherently high resistance to attack by fire…’. BS5266 also states that PVC cables in trunking (steel or PVC) and PVC/SWA cables will need additional fire protection.

Does the above imply I need extra protection on the PVC cables? If not how can I demonstrate this to a consultant to show how I have complied with the relevant standards and regulations?

BS5266 also states that PVC cables in trunking (steel or PVC) and PVC/SWA cables will need additional fire protection.
what saying fire protection like thing dropping on fire man sam or other people exscape routes .
it is important that fire cables be fixed direct to a surface using metal ‘P’ clips. Plastic clips must not be used. Where cable is fastened to trays, especially to the underside, stainless steel cable ties must be used.

Hi
I have installed a lighting circuit which has emergency with (integral battery packs) and non emergency lights on the same circuit (from the same MCB). The are wired in PVC twin and earth cable.
The British standard for emergency lighting states the following,
IEE Guidance Note 4 refers to BS5266, of which Section 8.2.1 states: ‘Cables used for the connection of an escape lighting luminaire to the standby power supply should…possess inherently high resistance to attack by fire…’. BS5266 also states that PVC cables in trunking (steel or PVC) and PVC/SWA cables will need additional fire protection.

Does the above imply I need extra protection on the PVC cables? If not how can I demonstrate this to a consultant to show how I have complied with the relevant standards and regulations?
If the emergency lighting is fed from a separate back up supply like a UPS/ battery system then they are required to be fire resistant cables and wired in 1.5mm minimum and segregated from other building wiring.
If they have individual batteries internal to the fittings and supplied from a local lighting circuit then they Do not have the same requirement regarding fire resistant cables.
You have to think of it as if the emergency lighting is fed from a separate power supply like a battery UPS then the lighting is needed to last so it’s no good having cables supplying the power melting in the event of a fire.
Emergency fittings with internal batteries do not require power other then that of the internal battery which is constantly charging when in normal service with a constant 230v supply charging it

Last edited:
If the emergency lighting is fed from a separate back up supply like a UPS/ battery system then they are required to be fire resistant cables and wired in 1.5mm minimum and segregated from other building wiring.
But BS5266 does not make a clear designation between backup supply and lights fed from the same supply? The consultant is saying I should keep the permanent feed and switched feed on 2 separate containment’s. I can’t see how to dispute his claim.

But BS5266 does not make a clear designation between backup supply and lights fed from the same supply? The consultant is saying I should keep the permanent feed and switched feed on 2 separate containment’s. I can’t see how to dispute his claim.
Pretty sure it does for self contained luminaries.
The design specification from the consultant should state what type of back up supply is required, either self contained or a self serving back up supply

Last edited:
Ian is correct. The key is connection to the standby power supply. Standby power supplies for self-self-contained fittings are within the enclosure hence self-contained. Where the standby supply (central battery) is remote to the fitting (slave fitting) then cabling between them must have resistance to fire to preserve the safety system.
[automerge]1569677486[/automerge]
If these are self contained fittings and I assume they are maintained as they have permanent and switch line supplies there is no requirement for separate containment.

Last edited:
That is from Section 8.2, wiring for central battery systems. Can you clarify this is not a central battery system.
I assume it is a self contained system so this applies fron BS5266:1Segregation of emergency lighting cables? 20190928_150323 - EletriciansForums.net

That is from Section 8.2, wiring for central battery systems. Can you clarify this is not a central battery system.
I assume it is a self contained system so this applies fron BS5266:1View attachment 52683
It is not a central battery supply. It is a standard residential block. The lights are in a communal corridor. Some corridors have non maintained mini spots in the ceilings which have their own dedicated supply fed from the common lighting and power distribution board with a battery pack integral to the fitting. A test key switch above the distribution board located in the riser. All standard stuff.
I do not have a copy of the BS5266 so all answers above have been extremely helpful.

Could you please send me a picture showing 8.2 is for central or backup supplies. I have a meeting with them and the client Monday morning and I would like to have all my ducks in a row. I think they have caused a storm in a tea cup over this and should feel quite foolish.
Thank you both for your help again.

Non maintained fittings should not be on a dedicated supply they should operate upon failure of the local general lighting circuit.
Here we go.Segregation of emergency lighting cables? 20190928_152328 - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to Segregation of emergency lighting cables? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock