Discuss sensible price for one of these or suitable sized alternative? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Customer needs one of these changed for an elderly relative.
Found new versions by Mk themselves for the old one but at £30+ hoping to find a more affordable alternative.
Anybody know of other makes that fit the dimensions? or better still sensible priced MK ones?

IMG_5110.gif

Customer needs one of these changed for an elderly relative.
Found new versions by Mk themselves for the old one but at £30+ hoping to find a more affordable alternative.
Anybody know of other makes that fit the dimensions? or better still sensible priced MK ones
why are you trying to get a cheap one , just tell the price of a new MK one. there's only MK make them like that .

why are you trying to get a cheap one , just tell the price of a new MK one. there's only MK make them like that .
I have given them the option and its more a case of wondering if there are some other makes that fit the gap, seems not. given the customers uncle is a elderly retired military vet, i am keen to ensure its not too pricey, I am fitting it for pocket money anyway as a favour for a friend.

Gavin I suspect the innards are the same as one I'm about to remove from a property... what's wrong with the one in the picture?

Edit:- I suspect the switch/socket are mounted on a black plastic tray that screws into the box, with the large facia screwing on over the top.

Gavin I suspect the innards are the same as one I'm about to remove from a property... what's wrong with the one in the picture?

Edit:- I suspect the switch/socket are mounted on a black plastic tray that screws into the box, with the large facia screwing on over the top.
They're a solid unit...….with plenty cable space.....no plastic tray in them.

Last edited:
They're a solid unit...….with plenty cable space.....no plastic in them.

I only used plastic because I wasn't sure how to spell Bakerlite. I'm thinking it has a bakerlite gear tray that is common to the switches of that era. If so and it's a switch failure, I'm taking one out of a property tomorrow that may provide a replacement gear tray for the cost of postage.

The cooker switch drops down to low and i am told turns off, also confuses the old guy so his nephew wants me to change it, there is currently red tape to stop it going to far down.

Thanks for all the offers of a replacement for postage costs, I have ordered the one one ebay now, will be here in couple of days.

funny enough Denmans got back to me afterwards and said they would flog me one for £20+vat. bit late now!! but good to now if the ebay one is a dud.

Reply to sensible price for one of these or suitable sized alternative? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net