Currently reading:
Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law

Discuss Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Was contacted by a local paper last week and asked about the Scottish Government smoke alarm requirements coming in on February.

Was mentioned in an article (and even had my good looks used to enhance sales 😃 ), although they spelled my name wrong (Stewart McLintock)

See below

sunday mail scan 01.jpg

Worth noting that in England,
if you ask the local fire brigade they will come and fit smoke detectors for free if you are unable to afford them.
I think they used to do that in Scotland, at least for the odd battery one in the hall. Don't think they have the budget to do thousands of homes with £200-400 interlinked jobs according to new legislation!

One of my local competitors use Hi Spec.
They fitted their mains ones for years and they had a high failure rate. The Hi Spec mains ones sold for about £8

One wholesaler told me they had a 'graveyard' of Hi Spec fails. So bad they stopped getting them in for general sale.

I prefer Aico as they work and don't fail due to their own accord.

Stand by for the mad rush... February is only a week away.

I ordered Aico detectors from CEF over the weekend.. Said everything was in stock.

Got there this morning, and the 3x 603 heat detectors that the website said were in stock had been sold. Either sold on saturday morning, and the website hadnt been updated, or they had been sold, before they would have been put aside for me...

Anyway... knackered my plans for this afternoon

Got there this morning, and the 3x 603 heat detectors that the website said were in stock had been sold. Either sold on saturday morning, and the website hadnt been updated, or they had been sold, before they would have been put aside for me...
I got one 603 from Holland-House early last week. The guy there said they were having issues getting stock in, something like 3 weeks before any more due.

Stand by for the mad rush... February is only a week away.

I ordered Aico detectors from CEF over the weekend.. Said everything was in stock.

Anyway... knackered my plans for this afternoon

Bit better than usual then. Was expecting to read 1/3 out of stock, 1/3 wrong and 1/3 delivered to the wrong site 😁

Follow up to my #35 post.

The 603’s CEF had sold even though they were for me… they managed to get some from another branch and I eventually got them on Wednesday.

I was on job 2 when I realised the dates on them were 2031!

CEF website now says available 7th February for any new stock. Even Screwfix is out of stock.
Assuming other wholesalers are same.

I ordered several Aico ones from Safelincs, they said 17 february...at checkout they said 1st April. Just had an email saying 17 feb again, except for the COs which is April.
I'm out of commission for 4 weeks anyway, but clients are waiting...

I got the last box or two from Elecric Center on Thursday.

I spent most of Thursday checking stock of CEF and Rexel brances and managed to call and persuade them to send me them up by courier.

I now have enough Aico smoke and heat to last me about a week and a half.

Update.

City electrical are now showing stock on ei603rf and ei650rf heat and smoke detectors being available from 22nd february... It was 12th Feb.
Everyone else is in the same boat regarding stock levels.
Even seen stupid prices on ebay for them... £140 for one!!!, and no guarantee of full 10 years date on them.

Update

Important FYI!!

In at CEF the other day and they said they were not sure of the 22nd feb delivery date for the Ei603rf heat detectors… could be 26th now… so I’ve got a van full of battery smokes, but no heats. No point doing half a job and go back just for the heats…

This morning, I was in at Screwfix.. asked the manager there if the “24-48 hour” delivery was right on the EI603rf…. Yes, he said. Should come tomorrow, maybe Sunday. Def Monday.

Ok… best price? Considering they sell them at £84.99…. He knocked enough off each one to a quid less than what city charged me. !

So I got 10 coming for next week.

I’ll wait until I’ve got the 10 and will keep the ones from CEF when I eventually get them.

So, if you’re still waiting for stock, try your local Screwfix, and plead, beg and grovel to get the price.

I know they have a trade counter for electricians and pumbers but we never bothered with applying, presumably you have that hence the better deal? Might actually be worth it for some cases!
Actually, I’m not a trade customer, but I do have the Electricfix card.
I just pay as I go… no credit facility.

I’m in quite often for simple cable, boxes, sockets etc. Regular enough to be offered a cup of coffee.

Still awaiting delivery on several 603rf and 650rf from 2 different sources, both saying maybe this week, maybe 2 weeks from now.
As for decent CO units, either 4-6 weeks, or, if ordered along with smokes/heats, only 2 per customer, but none actually available.
Never mind, it'll all quieten down eventually, and meantime I'm not taking on any more installations until the supply is back to normal.

Not fed up fitting them, just fed up waiting for supplies!
Told a client yesterday to order what they needed per my assessment and let me know when they arrive and I'll fit them. Too much money outlaid so far for stock that isn't arriving.

Everyone else fed up with fitting these pigging detectors, not that you can get any battery RF units ☹️
My van is full of them…. But I’d organised dates for next week thinking I was going away. Done a couple, but a lot of customers are away as well.

Had one cancel on me as it was taking so long to get stock…. They got a mate of a mate to do it.

I bet they’re not Aico, not house coded and not in the right place.
I see many a handyman on Facebook offering to do the lot for 200 quid

Had one cancel on me as it was taking so long to get stock…. They got a mate of a mate to do it.

I bet they’re not Aico, not house coded and not in the right place.
I see many a handyman on Facebook offering to do the lot for 200 quid

Well paying work in the future, when faults begin to occur and the handymen aren't answering their phones.

Reply to Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back