Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

baldelectrician

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Was contacted by a local paper last week and asked about the Scottish Government smoke alarm requirements coming in on February.

Was mentioned in an article (and even had my good looks used to enhance sales 😃 ), although they spelled my name wrong (Stewart McLintock)

See below

[ElectriciansForums.net] Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law

I know they have a trade counter for electricians and pumbers but we never bothered with applying, presumably you have that hence the better deal? Might actually be worth it for some cases!
Actually, I’m not a trade customer, but I do have the Electricfix card.
I just pay as I go… no credit facility.

I’m in quite often for simple cable, boxes, sockets etc. Regular enough to be offered a cup of coffee.

Still awaiting delivery on several 603rf and 650rf from 2 different sources, both saying maybe this week, maybe 2 weeks from now.
As for decent CO units, either 4-6 weeks, or, if ordered along with smokes/heats, only 2 per customer, but none actually available.
Never mind, it'll all quieten down eventually, and meantime I'm not taking on any more installations until the supply is back to normal.

Not fed up fitting them, just fed up waiting for supplies!
Told a client yesterday to order what they needed per my assessment and let me know when they arrive and I'll fit them. Too much money outlaid so far for stock that isn't arriving.

Everyone else fed up with fitting these pigging detectors, not that you can get any battery RF units ☹️
My van is full of them…. But I’d organised dates for next week thinking I was going away. Done a couple, but a lot of customers are away as well.

Had one cancel on me as it was taking so long to get stock…. They got a mate of a mate to do it.

I bet they’re not Aico, not house coded and not in the right place.
I see many a handyman on Facebook offering to do the lot for 200 quid

Had one cancel on me as it was taking so long to get stock…. They got a mate of a mate to do it.

I bet they’re not Aico, not house coded and not in the right place.
I see many a handyman on Facebook offering to do the lot for 200 quid

Well paying work in the future, when faults begin to occur and the handymen aren't answering their phones.

Well paying work in the future, when faults begin to occur and the handymen aren't answering their phones.
Handyman local to me has been going round doing smoke alarms - he can't seem to manage changing just the slide on Aico head or the plug in Kidde head, so he removes them and fits none interlinked standalone battery alarms.

I offer to fit both Aico and HiSpec and make it clear that one is a quality product and the other might be ok but if it fails I will come out and sort it a your own cost, where as if they have any issue with Aico I will come out for free, most of the time people will go for Aico, and will end up fitting a few extra in the houses too. HiSpec seem to be preferred by those who have money and are more worried about home insurance than safety....

I don't think you mentioned it did you? 😀
Oh I thought I had, but just in case I forgot.

For sale:

One Ei3024 dated September 2032
One Ei3028 dated November 2031
Two Ei3028 dated August 2032
All fitted with SmartLink modules.

£200.00 for all four, PM if interested.
Thanks for reminding me @DPG . 😇

Oh I thought I had, but just in case I forgot.

For sale:

One Ei3024 dated September 2032
One Ei3028 dated November 2031
Two Ei3028 dated August 2032
All fitted with SmartLink modules.

£200.00 for all four, PM if interested.
Thanks for reminding me @DPG . 😇
What sort of guarantee do they come with?

The manufacturers guarantee on the expire date and back too back on the re-seller I bought them from on e-bay at a greater cost than the asked for cost in the "For Sale" section.

Last edited:

Reply to Should Scottish Government delay new smoke detector law in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks