Discuss Shower 8.5 on a 40mcb is it dangerous in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

they not plug tops. theys plugs. a plug goes into a socket. a plug top covers the live parts (in a plug). we don't refer to sockets as plug bottoms.:D:D:D.

Plugs were on the walls, as well you know 'cos of your age. They also had plugs on the ends of appliances leads. Thats why Joe public called em plugs & plug tops. :rolleyes:

Just because all those people have got it wrong does not make it right.

Show me a link to a Part P registration certificate that a sparks claiming Part P registered could show me.

We've all heard this story before. Just because some people got it wrong 100 years ago does not mean we have to perpetuate this myth now.
How very dare you. @telectrix is not over a hundred years old!

Anyway, I think its an urban myth you can provide a 40A supply on a 6mm cable, in most domestic properties :p

@GeorgeCooke ,

Whilst I can acknowledge there are times when the correct terminology is an absolute must (such as the difference between r1 and R1 for example), the vast majority of the time, it doesn't matter that the terminology is not 100% correct.

If you say transformer to a client they know it's a device that converts the mains into something else. They don't need to know that in fact it's an electronic switch mode power supply unit. Say that to them and they'll look at you as though you're from outer space.

Likewise... plug and plug top (meaning the thing on the wall and the thing you shove in it), bulb (meaning the thing in a lamp that makes the light), fuse (meaning the circuit breaker in the fuse box (meaning the consumer unit) that they have to switch back on if it trips). Just a few examples.

As a consequence of having to use client speak, it is inevitable that we will use these terms here and guess what... the world is still turning.

If the only thing you can offer to a thread is to critique someone's use of language when the vast majority of people here know what the others are saying, then I'd suggest you simply skip the thread and ignore it. As I said above, there are times when it is critical the correct terms are used, but for everyday objects such as light bulbs, plugs etc. it's not the end of the world especially when the vast majority of people will understand what is being said.

Whilst this constant nit picking gives some of us comedy material from time to time, it is getting to be somewhat tiresome and can result in the thread being de-railed somewhat. So, as I've said, if you have nothing more constructive to add to a thread other than a critique of the terminology being used, move along to a different thread where you can contribute in a more constructive manner.

I've read that. You are entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine.

But, I repeat:

Show me a link to a Part P registration certificate that a sparks claiming Part P registered could show me.

I do actually have a certificate of approval from NAPIT that states I am approved for electrical installation work in dwellings (A1.1) (Including Part P).

So it could be argued that I am 'Part P Approved' or 'Part P Certified'.

But again, I think most people understand that when someone says this, what that translates to is 'They are members of a competent persons scheme and are able to notify works in accordance with Approved Document P'... it's just easier to say Part P certified, of Part P approved or something akin to that.

Hi guys

My tenant just had an electrician in to connect her cooker and has told her that the shower is dangerous and not to use it because it has a 40 mcb in the consumer unit and it should be a 32.
The cable is 6mm and the shower is 8.5kw.

Can you advise me please
Thank you in anticipation
I have exactly the same in my house, since upgrading my shower 7 years ago, with no problems, and will be fitting another to the same specification soon. One factor no-one has mentioned is circuit length. I believe a maximum of 10m (33') before a larger cable is required. If voltage at supply is greater than 230v (it usually is), longer could be used. I would verify voltage drop and RCD trip time to be sure.

Chris, this is the correct sized MCB for a 8.5kW shower, a 32amp device would be running at a slight overcurrent and although it would take a long time to trip it's not permitted in the regulations. I can't stand people who find fault with work unrelated to what they're doing - especially when they're spouting BS. :)
I confess that finding faults in electrical installations has been a favourite pass-time of mine for over 30 years! I agree entirely with the BS though: I've heard some lame excuses, and had my work criticised by many who should know better. It is a nuisance having to explain or pull out the Regs to show them. I try to always be open to constructive criticism, but no-one needs the BS, and I don't need the opinion of someone who born 20 years after I started working!

I confess that finding faults in electrical installations has been a favourite pass-time of mine for over 30 years! I agree entirely with the BS though: I've heard some lame excuses, and had my work criticised by many who should know better. It is a nuisance having to explain or pull out the Regs to show them. I try to always be open to constructive criticism, but no-one needs the BS, and I don't need the opinion of someone who born 20 years after I started working!

As an update I have now had a full inspection done took 4 hours and everything passed OK. thanks for all the replies.

Reply to Shower 8.5 on a 40mcb is it dangerous in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock