Discuss Shower downgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Ducksy

Quick question guys shower needs downgrading was 10.5kw

Cable is 6mm on 40amp 60898 30mA RCD.

The 10.5kw element has failed so have advised customer a 8.5kw is more suitable for the cable/fuse size.

Do I need to issue a EICR for this as I'm changing the load.

I remember someone on here saying they only do MWC for replacing shower units on a related thread before (which I can't find), but you can't issue a MWC for a room containing a bath or shower.

What do you guys do.

Thanks.

but you can't issue a MWC for a room containing a bath or shower.

first i've heard of that. i would just complete a MWC. how is the 6mm run, ref. method? if anything other tan method C , i would downrate the MCB to 32A.

Thanks tele what I meant was, due to it being a room containing a bath or shower, Doesn't it need notifying?.

It is clipped direct so cable is sufficient...just.

as you are doing a like for like replacement, notification is not required.

You see that's where the issue is, it's not like for like as I'm changing the load characteristic although be it lower.....what happens if I was changing it for a higher KW.

Your right of corse, just me over thinking it.

Thanks tele.

Surprised there is not more problems with a 6mm cable and a 10.5kw shower. I usually use a 10mm cable for that size of shower.

Surprised there is not more problems with a 6mm cable and a 10.5kw shower. I usually use a 10mm cable for that size of shower.
What if it is 2 mtrs from the DB? still 10mms or 8mm2 as someone mentioned the other day here LMFAO hahaha

Work out the current carrying capacity of the cable after cable calcs applied and this is the rating of the shower you can fit .... if you protection device is a little higher than the cable ccc this is not a worry as the device wouldn't need to give overload protection as it is a fixed load and by the nature of it been a shower circuit it is unlikely to be added to, i.e if your cable after calcs was rated to 43amps and you fit a 9.5kw shower which draws 41.3 amps at 230v then fitting a 45amp or 50amp is acceptable although i stress you shouldn't be designing and installing circuits using this regulation if that was the case then a largewr cable would be necessary. I would only use this regulation if you are in your situe with a similar set up to the above calc.

Ps if the cab;e runs through a loft that hasn't een insulated yet then apply calcs as though it is insulated which you should do anyway or ensure cable can't ever be covered.

Last edited:
you would ?
what happened to In >/= Ib ?
shame a 8.5kw shower pulls 37A lol.

as for cert , MWC will do as reducing the load doesnt require you to re-evaluate the circuit characteristics.
;-)
well it does Biff....but you know that an MCB to BSEN60898 will hold for 1.45 its operating current for upto an hour before letting go...it should be OK...unless theres 2 in that shower...undisturbed....lol..

What if it is 2 mtrs from the DB? still 10mms or 8mm2 as someone mentioned the other day here LMFAO hahaha

2 metres from the DB? Now that would be nice, if it ever happened. Yes I would use 10mm every time. A short run is not going to create a huge extra expense.

Reply to Shower downgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net