Discuss Shower Supplies. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spudnik

Chaps,

If a shower is rated, say at, 30A, cable installed through loft, about 10 meters to CU, no insulation near it, would you install 4mm T&E with a 32A MCB for ease?

Came across an existing install today with a shower (albeit, fairly old), installed in this way and i just could not think of a reason to justify replacing said 4mm with 6mm.

Reasons for and against would be good.

:)

hi reference method a 37 amps so its there and theres a good argument
nothing to stop it staying there, but i would be happier with 6mm

Hi Jason if it had a 3036 fuse protecting it then it would be a No. however a 32 A mcb makes it a Yes !........should also have 30ma RCD protection ...but thats another issue.

spark1

I always advise customers and have never had any problem in having fitted 10mm for showers as any upgrades wont be a problem and due to the nature of it wont need to possibly remove tiles to replace now possibly undersized cable.
I however do preffer the jaccuzzi and champayne with cigar route !
Regards
Kung.

Do not know the exact reg .But when you design new circuits you have to design so cables/circuits can be added for future use .

With this in mind what happens to your cable if she gets it reinsulated next year, and the cable gets covered

with insulation or wants to upgrade to a bigger kw shower ,

Personly i could sleep better/worry less if it was upgraded .

Of course your quite right in leaving it it if you want,but i'm quite sure the professional in you would not

allow that. Scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Squeal Piggy Squeal"

If it complies and the customer is aware of the difficulty if they want a larger shower in the future, they can,t, so what, 4mm will suffice, however i would put it to customer in my opinion i would install a 10mm for the future.

i would say as long as calcs are ok why not no point in replacing because they might get a more powerful shower 1 day makes no difference if its replaced now or when they get the new shower?? apart from at the minute it isnt needed

Hey mate.

Although I cant give a hard and fast reason to change it for definate, I think I definately would.

As the lads have said, they could get the attic insulated. Also as you've said the shower is fairly old so may be coming to the end of it's useful life and may need replacing soon for a larger one perhaps.

I just know I would.:)

Cheers.

Thanks for the input fellas.

New 6mm it is.

Of course, the only problem is, is the feed to the shower from the switch is buried and tiled.

Not ideal, but i may leave this in and just replace the supply as that is what will be affected by external influences and note it on the cert.

I agree with rest of forum that it should be upgraded to at least 6mm as im sure householder will eventually install insulation unless they have loads of money and like to keep roof hot to stop snow lying on it and also as shower is getting on in years i am sure they would understand that although technically if all calculations correct the 4mm is ok the next shower they purchase will almost certainly require bigger cable. Also wonder in case like this one with resession on will customers be always looking for cheapest option of leaving 4mm cable and take attitude of why spend money they dont need too:(

I agree with rest of forum that it should be upgraded to at least 6mm as im sure householder will eventually install insulation unless they have loads of money and like to keep roof hot to stop snow lying on it and also as shower is getting on in years i am sure they would understand that although technically if all calculations correct the 4mm is ok the next shower they purchase will almost certainly require bigger cable. Also wonder in case like this one with resession on will customers be always looking for cheapest option of leaving 4mm cable and take attitude of why spend money they dont need too:(

Cable will be replaced tomorrow.

I agree about the money saving etc, however, they have spare in the quote as they have decided against a few things so leaves room for the upgrade.

Reply to Shower Supplies. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock