Discuss simple kitchen Light fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Daniel88

-
DIY
Reaction score
I’ve changed an upstairs light before with success, now I’m changing the 2 kitchen lights, currently the living room light or kitchen light won’t come on now, everything else ok.

I changed how was before.
1st pic is the old fixture.

2 black wires to blue/neutral, should be ok
Green yellow to earth which is correct, I’m sure
4 red wires I think is where the issue of is, isn’t 1 wire a main live, sorry I’m real amateur.

I’m obviously no pro, any help much appreciated.

66A64C6C-B838-41B3-AFC4-4C9B8104AE74.jpeg

94240241-B1CD-417F-8995-563F5700D6BC.jpeg

BA1909D3-F628-431F-B89E-E3BD334A81F2.jpeg

Sounds like you have the reds mixed up. Did one of the cables have two red wires in it.

Didn't spot that.

Looks like you have feed in L&N feed out L&N and a switch pair 2 Reds, one core will be the SL switch live the other will be a live feed to the switch, it looks from the pictures that the 3 reds you have in separate terminals, should be joined together. BUT DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT advice for a DIY er is Not a good idea, and step by step advice is against the Forums rules, get an Electrician in to check the wiring configuration out, I can only guesstimate from your pictures, so it's not conclusive evidence.

agree with pete. that looks like the problem, but if unsure, get expert help ( or buy some fuse wire)

Also believe petes reply abpve to be correct, get those 3 reds together... BUT please use a different connector to that unless you have the cover for it as its leaving a lot of it exposed

That's my point, is that one red the swl? The other reds aren't labelled?
No idea but I think it is essentially correct bar the use of the three way block connector.

No idea but I think it is essentially correct bar the use of the three way block connector.
Depends on whether their other red connected to swl on the fitting end is the other core to that labelled red. If that makes sense

Edit, no it didn't make sense hope it does now :D

Finally did it, thanks, the 3 reds together, what is the trick to put the light fixture flush to the ceiling, you can bury some of the connection above and in the lighting fixture, but the connection boxes are too big, and there’s never enough space for the wires, I’m guessing I can cut the wires and use a smaller choc block, what do electricians do?, because leaving a gap doesn’t look good and your other half has to have perfect...

Welcome to our world of fitting client bought Ikea and Orange Shed lighting fixtures!

Reply to simple kitchen Light fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net