Discuss single phase compressor motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for a connection diagram or sugestions for a 2.2Kw single phase motor to drive a compressor. The spec plate shows that it can be run at 220-240 v / 460-480v 50Hz. (unusual for 50Hz) At 220-240 volts FLc is 16A plus startup inrush. so I should like to run it at the higher voltage as I have 400v available at the 3 phase DB. I can't find anything on the web not even Brook motor website. Any help would be appreciated. Not come across this motor variant before, see pict below!
Thank you Griffey!

Attachments

• duncan's compressor motor.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 9
It's designed to be suitable for normal 230V single phase or 460V single, split phase. This supply arrangement is fairly rare in the UK generally, but is very common in the area I live and work. I've fitted loads of these motors over the years.
The motor would run on 400V taken from 2 phases of a 3 phase supply, but will be down on power.

It's designed to be suitable for normal 230V single phase or 460V single, split phase. This supply arrangement is fairly rare in the UK generally, but is very common in the area I live and work. I've fitted loads of these motors over the years.
The motor would run on 400V taken from 2 phases of a 3 phase supply, but will be down on power.
Hi, Thank you for the information, I'll stay with the 230v connections as it's not a good idea to run a compressor under voltage. Are you situated in the USA? re the split phase comment!

regards Griffey

No he is based in the UK where there are split phase supplies (460v between lines). Whether this motor was produced for UK use or the States where 460-480v is common who knows.

Reply to single phase compressor motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net