Discuss Single plug socket stopped working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ste218

DIY
Reaction score
Have a single plug socket which has been working fine for years. It is behind a unit so nothing has hit it. I looked at the socket and can seen no discolouration or anything on the outside to indicate a problem. Took the socket out of the wall and again nothing to indicate a problem and all the wiring is firmly attached. I checked all the fuses in the box and again all are fine. All the other sockets in the room are working normally. I decided to replace the socket with a new one just on the off chance but still nothing.

At a loss what to do next ?

What is the socket used for.......if its an appliance you may have a switch that controls it in a cupboard somewhere that has been turned off

Nothing tripped on the board. The socket is used to power the Sky Tv box.
Try turning on and off any fused spurs you can see anywhere, and any switches that are not part of sockets or lights. Check in cupboards/behind things. Check fuses in spurs. Do this for upstairs and down. Check for any switches near the fuse board. When you changed the socket, how many cables were in there?

If not i'm stumped, you sure it's not coming from next door and the jig is up?

Nothing replaced recently. Three wires lead into the socket ( E L N ). Single socket is one side of the chimney and we have a double the other side which is working fine. Another double opposite side of the room working fine as well.
Is their a risk ( fire ) with this not working ? I can get by without it far now.

Could be a number of reasons why it's not working - some of little consequence and some potentially of greater concern.

It's difficult to diagnose such issues over the internet and I'd advice engaging the services of a local electrician.

Nothing replaced recently. Three wires lead into the socket ( E L N ). Single socket is one side of the chimney and we have a double the other side which is working fine. Another double opposite side of the room working fine as well.
Ok so if it's not a radial then it's a spur. Find a socket with 3 cables in and see if there's loose wires.

Being a single socket it wouldn't surprise me if it was fed from a hidden junction box somewhere (because of age of house/practices when installd.) I had a single socket in my house when i moved in and that was the sitch with it.
Is their a risk ( fire ) with this not working ? I can get by without it far now.
Impossible to say for sure because it depends what's happened. I doubt it, but without being able to look at it i'd recommend getting a qualified electrician with the testing and inspection qualification to have a look.

Have you checked the fuse in the plug for the sky box?
I know it sounds obvious, but I’ve had customers moan to me that a socket wasn’t working after I fitted one, only to find that the lamp they were using had a broken bulb in it….. and they didn’t think to try something else.

Then I have to agree with previous suggestions.
With only one cable, it’s either the end of a radial direct from board, a spur from a nearby socket, or a spur from a joint box, probably under the floor.

Where in UK? There might be a forum member local who could fix it in around 5 minutes for the cost of fuel and a few tinnies.

Turn off the power and have a look at the socket on the other side of the fireplace and see if there are 3 cables in that one if not then check the one opposite if not there then must be a junction box under the floor

Have you been doing anything nearby? Mounting a picture above it etc. Any building work going on recently? Maybe it's wired through the chimney, notice any animal noises or neighbors playing with the chimneys recently?

Reply to Single plug socket stopped working. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net