Discuss Singles Cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

petegibbons

I am currently doing some periodic inspection to domestic sheltered accommodations.

We have found the lighting to be in singles were the the lives are wired with a combined cpc however the neutrals are wired in singles cable with no cpc.

I would imagine this is a deviation from the regulations but I am not sure on how I should grade it. ie: does it require urgent attention??

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Sounds like they had loads of neutral singles left from a job and used this and 2 core cable and removed the neutral sleeving and shoved the cpc sleeving onto it and thought That will do ! be intresting to see if any other places they have the same !

I love borrowed neutrals best found after isolating a circuit to work on !

I am currently doing some periodic inspection to domestic sheltered accommodations.

We have found the lighting to be in singles were the the lives are wired with a combined cpc however the neutrals are wired in singles cable with no cpc.

I would imagine this is a deviation from the regulations but I am not sure on how I should grade it. ie: does it require urgent attention??

P.S Pete
advise the person ordering the PIR that whilst the safety of those using the installation may not be at immediate risk remedial action should be taken as soon as possible to improve the safety of the installation.
Regards
Kung

Last edited by a moderator:
I love borrowed neutrals best found after isolating a circuit to work on !

P.S Pete
advise the person ordering the PIR that whilst the safety of those using the installation may not be at immediate risk remedial action should be taken as soon as possible to improve the safety of the installation.
Regards
Kung

Thanks Kung, all the information off everyone is appreciated.

Hey.

If they're pvc pvc singles i.e single red + cpc, and single black, then why is this a code 2??

or am I misunderstanding it?? are they pvc singles??

It's been a long day and I could be talking out of my.......:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
not really, dont forget that we may not do this now but at the time it was ok and to regs, so the fact that it may not meet current regulations for instance does not mean that is is either unsafe or needs to be changed.
cover yourself with whatever you find even if you are unsure about it, somewhere on the certificate there will be comments or deviations from regs section , just list it there.

Hey Pete.

We used to use pvc pvc singles a lot usually for outside lights and wall lights.

We would take a pvc pvc single neutral to one end of the circuit, then a pvc pvc single live + cpc to the other end and t+e between.

As long as you have a cpc in one of the singles it doesn't matter.

pvc conduit singles are just that - single cable.

Cheers.

Hey Pete.

We used to use pvc pvc singles a lot usually for outside lights and wall lights.

We would take a pvc pvc single neutral to one end of the circuit, then a pvc pvc single live + cpc to the other end and t+e between.

As long as you have a cpc in one of the singles it doesn't matter.

pvc conduit singles are just that - single cable.

Cheers.

I have tried to contact the NIC for clarification on this.

I was under the impression this does not now conform with the regulations as there is a problem that if the neutral cable (which is classed as a live conductor) gets damaged then an earth fault would not occur. Although I can not see any regulation this is breaking.

I know it's common practice, I just wanted to be sure in this situation as there are other electricians maintaining properties we are inspecting. If we miss anything they will only be too quick to report us.

Hey.

If they're pvc pvc singles i.e single red + cpc, and single black, then why is this a code 2??

or am I misunderstanding it?? are they pvc singles??

It's been a long day and I could be talking out of my.......:eek:

The way i read it is it sounds like 2 core plus single neutral and removed neutral sleeving and replaced with cpc sleeving but could be wrong please confirm Pete soz also long day.
Regards
Kung :)

how are the neutrals protected are they in conduit?
or do they have an outer sheaf?

how are the neutrals protected are they in conduit?
or do they have an outer sheaf?

They are double in insulated singles and are in plastic conduit when in the wall.

The circuits are not RCD protected as they should be by 2008 Regs, however the client who owns in excess of 160k properties is not obliged to upgrade all there installations. It is realised they can not afford to upgarde all there properties imediatley and as long as they meet the standards of the last edition of the Regulations this is deemed to be sufficient as having a sytsem in place for upgrading all there properties.

Reply to Singles Cables in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock