Discuss Siren battery (where is it)? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Forty_Two

DIY
Reaction score
Where os the battery backup for the siren?

I have ordered a Yale wireless system to replace the current old and faulty Accenta G3. I know that the G3 system has a feature whereby if the power is cut the siren goes off.. When I install the Yale system I want to disconnect the mains power (wired spur fuse) to the G3. I am worried that after installing the Yale system and cutting the power to the G3 that at some point in the future (3am in the morning) the siren will go ff because the power was cut and the backup battery has drained. Is the backup battery that is the backup battery for the siren the battery inside the G3 box or is there another backup battery in the siren box on the wall outside? After disconnecting the main, if I open the B3 box and take out the battery will that do the job (disable the siren)?

Not sure why you would order a Yale system to replace an Accenta G3 system, it would have been cheaper to get an Accenta G4 panel to replace the G3
The SAB battery is in the external sounder once disconnected it could be powered down

Not sure why you would order a Yale system to replace an Accenta G3 system, it would have been cheaper to get an Accenta G4 panel to replace the G3
The SAB battery is in the external sounder once disconnected it could be powered down
Thanks for the reply.

The current G3 system has faults in it and I've paid to have them fixed and the fixes don't last so decided to cut and run and the Yale sytem looks easy to install.

When you say:
The SAB battery is in the external sounder I presume you mean that the battery backup for that siren is inside the siren box (see pic of box)?
AND
. . once disconnected it could be powered down . . .what does 'could' be powered down mean, does that mean I have to do something to power it down. And, before it is powered down could it activate the siren?

Attachments

• Snapshot_1.png
    990.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

The current G3 system has faults in it and I've paid to have them fixed and the fixes don't last so decided to cut and run and the Yale sytem looks easy to install.
If it was badly fitted originally then you will always have problems and without rewiring it is difficult to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
Not a fan of the Yale systems IMO they scream cheap and give a clear indication of the system that is fitted with any of the professional sounders the average passer-by has no idea of what system is fitted behind the front door
When you say:
The SAB battery is in the external sounder I presume you mean that the battery backup for that siren is inside the siren box?
Normally it is a 7.2v or 8.4v multi cell battery with some sounders you need to pull a pcb jumper with others you disconnect it from the pcb terminal block
AND
. . once disconnected it could be powered down . . .what does 'could' be powered down mean, does that mean I have to do something to power it down. And, before it is powered down could it activate the siren?
Pull the fuse out of the spur, turn off the MCB / RCBO feeding the panel or any other way you choose to remove the power although I don't recommend taking your cutters to a live cable😀

I've lived in this house for 40 years and I've just noticed this box . . I presume it's an old (redundant) siren box, would that be our best guess also?

Attachments

• Snapshot_1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Reply to Siren battery (where is it)? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net