Discuss Small van choice (2020 edition) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
At some point we might want a company van. Nothing too large as most of the time it will be one guy and a handful of tools. Occasionally a motor/gearbox weighing 120kg or so, maybe the odd bit of 2m or so tube, etc.

Site has an access road which is pretty rough (one reason not to want to use our cars!) so reasonable ground clearance is something to consider. Otherwise probably not a whole lot different to what the folks here might be using/thinking of already.

So what sort of small van would you suggest?

At this time, not much. But were thinking of PCP style leasing of it so we don't have to slap down £15k or whatever in one go. Probably hoping for under £350/month but not really looked in to the financing in much detail.

A few years ago I would have hinted on a Peugeot Partner. After owning one for a few years now, I've changed my mind. They seem mechanically sound, but the electrics tend to fail, and it appears to be an age old problem. Have heard good things about the caddy.

Transit connect without a doubt. Caddy is a big car no room in the back
only ever once rode in a transit connect. seen bigger cabs in a rickshaw. so cramped i could not believe it. you need to be anorexic .

At some point we might want a company van. Nothing too large as most of the time it will be one guy and a handful of tools. Occasionally a motor/gearbox weighing 120kg or so, maybe the odd bit of 2m or so tube, etc.

Site has an access road which is pretty rough (one reason not to want to use our cars!) so reasonable ground clearance is something to consider. Otherwise probably not a whole lot different to what the folks here might be using/thinking of already.

So what sort of small van would you suggest?

I hear the Berlingo Man gets a lot of good reviews over on the Screwfix Forums. :p

Best thing is to try them and choose one you are most comfortable with. Increased payload may help with clearance on rough roads but ride may be compromised slightly. IMHO there are no bad vans in terms of reliability only bad drivers, if you take good care of it it will last.
Use that lease/hp/pcp nonsens as last resource it can be bad if circumstances change. Perhaps try that bounce back loan highly recommended on here.

only ever once rode in a transit connect. seen bigger cabs in a rickshaw. so cramped i could not believe it. you need to be anorexic .
I thought it was quite impressive. Can't part with my 12 year old bulletproof hiace personally. Never lets me down
[automerge]1595500384[/automerge]
what you on about. Big car no room in the back, adlest I can get a fridge in the back, not like a Ford made from a fridge.
I have had mine from new and never broken down or broken into most Ford vans comes with a free key for the thief's.
Ok mate didn't realise you were a volkswagon advocate and would take such offence. My sincere apologies.

I thought it was quite impressive. Can't part with my 12 year old bulletproof hiace personally. Never lets me down
[automerge]1595500384[/automerge]

Ok mate didn't realise you were a volkswagon advocate and would take such offence. My sincere apologies.
you can't seriously consider downtrading a bomb proof Hiace for a bean can. Can you??? My Hiace is 2004 with 208,500 miles on the clock. In the 5 years I've had it all I've spent is 2 tryes and front brake pads.( apart from MOTs and oil changes).

you can't seriously consider downtrading a bomb proof Hiace for a bean can. Can you??? My Hiace is 2004 with 208,500 miles on the clock. In the 5 years I've had it all I've spent is 2 tryes and front brake pads.( apart from MOTs and oil changes).
I'm the same. 2008 and 222200 on her. Only issue with age is the poorly made wiper arms, but they can be easily fixed and replaced. Still runs like a new (ish) van

I'm the same. 2008 and 222200 on her. Only issue with age is the poorly made wiper arms, but they can be easily fixed and replaced. Still runs like a new (ish) van
so stick with it. why go into debt for a load of troublesome crap with stupid electronics that cut the engine out if you fart.

Reply to Small van choice (2020 edition) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock