Discuss Smart meter installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

breiko

-
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I've got a visit from a SSE engineer today to install a smart meter.

Long story short he left because he did not have access to the external switch room (I live in a council block) and therefore could not complete the installation.

He also said that he would have to remove the isolator attached to my actual meter. Do you think this is normal? I'm not an expert but there must be a valid reason if the isolator is there.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks!

The isolator, providing it's not in the way, is handy because it allows you (or an electrician) to isolate your supply allowing major works such as consumer unit upgrades to be carried out with requiring access to the switch room to isolate your supply.

The isolator, providing it's not in the way, is handy because it allows you (or an electrician) to isolate your supply allowing major works such as consumer unit upgrades to be carried out with requiring access to the switch room to isolate your supply.

So, if the isolator was not on the way, could he have installed the new meter without accessing the switch room?

I'll post a picture as soon as I get home. I'd love to know if you think it was actually on the way.

:disrelieved:

Smart meter installation {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

This is the current meter with the isolator. Any feedback?

Usually isolators like that are installed after the meter. To put them before allows people to shutdown and potentially reconnect bypassing the meter. But in this case, I'm guessing it's been done like that to allow works without requiring access to the switch room.

Usually isolators like that are installed after the meter. To put them before allows people to shutdown and potentially reconnect bypassing the meter. But in this case, I'm guessing it's been done like that to allow works without requiring access to the switch room.

So why do you think the engineer just left cause he didn't have access to the switch room?

He said per company policy they are not allowed to work with isolators. It seems the only chance I get is let them access the switch room and remove the isolator?

Does this even make sense ?

I think the consensus on here will be that smart meter installers have a fairly closed set of rules regarding what installations they are feel they can work on. Anything beyond those boundaries and it's not their problem.

I suspect the isolator is the property of the BNO (that's Building Network Operator I believe - or the people who provide the electricity supply in the building). If that's the case, he can't remove it because it is not the suppliers property (he works for or on behalf of a supplier).

The isolator needs to be after the meter not before as it is now.
The meter operative would need to isolate the supply as they need to go into the smart meter in terminals.

I think the consensus on here will be that smart meter installers have a fairly closed set of rules regarding what installations they are feel they can work on. Anything beyond those boundaries and it's not their problem.

I suspect the isolator is the property of the BNO (that's Building Network Operator I believe - or the people who provide the electricity supply in the building). If that's the case, he can't remove it because it is not the suppliers property (he works for or on behalf of a supplier).

What if I ask them to install the new meter and place the isolator after the meter?
This way they are no removing anything right?

Hope they can agree to that.

They generally do not want anyone to have the facility to turn off their data transmitting device.
Please tell tell me why on earth you would want a smart meter,and i will tell you how to achieve the same,without one.

As for meter fitters fitting isolators....
The nice lad,who turned up without notice or permission,to attempt to fit one at my aged parents property,got in a right tizzy,when i asked how he would allow a single point of isolation,in their dual-tariff installation...

He finally accepted defeat,and asked me to explain and do a drawing,to show a suitable method,which i did,in red felt-tip pen,on the lid of a cardboard box....which he ripped off,and took with him;)

They generally do not want anyone to have the facility to turn off their data transmitting device.
Please tell tell me why on earth you would want a smart meter,and i will tell you how to achieve the same,without one.

The nice lad,who turned up without notice or permission,to attempt to fit one at my aged parents property,got in a right tizzy,when i asked how he would allow a single point of isolation,in their dual-tariff installation...

He finally accepted defeat,and asked me to explain and do a drawing,to show a suitable method,which i did,in red felt-tip pen,on the lid of a cardboard box....which he ripped off,and took with him;)

Main reason for me is that my tariff includes the installation of a smart meter. Therefore to save money I need a smart meter installed.

On a geek side I think it's handy to have control of what you are spending in gas and electricity without sending readings and waiting for estimations.

Last edited:
Main reason for me is that my tariff includes the installation of a smart meter. Therefore to save money I need a smart meter installed.

On a geek side I think it's handy to have control of what you are spending in gas and electricity without sending readings and waiting for estimations.

With respect - no you don't.

To save money,you need to use less electricity,or use it more wisely,for this,you do not need an addition,which may limit your choice of changing providers,which may hobble future chances of savings.

There are many devices available,which can give you the information required,live or stored.

Nobody has accused the government of being evil....foolhardy,maybe....it is the unrealistic,pressured nature of this failed (government's own adviser's words:)) roll-out,which irks me.

It is your own personal choice,which most should respect,but i called it right,with the PV and the cavity wall job....i will wager, i may be right again:rolleyes:

I arranged through octopus energy a smart meter two meter installers turned up on the arranged date one was a assessor assessing the others work I was immediately told as the smart meter was larger than a standard meter a smart meter could not be installed because eon energy who had my pv solar installed had put the Henley block on the top of the meter board this being a electrician I understood but could not understand what followed they went on to change the Henley block because they said it didn't comply and a terminal had been over tightened now im all for safety if somethings not right it needs sorting but they put it back in the same place on the board when I said cant you fit it at the side on the wall they said it was not on there remit the mind boggles between eon and octopus this is still ongoing eon have been to investigate and im waiting for a decision as to what is going to happen I agree eon was wrong putting the Henley block on meter board but meter installers seem to work to a check list like a call centre. Im only needing a smart meter because I have a ev and a smart charger which to benefit from the octopus go tariff needs a smart meter im very close to giving up on the idea all together and possibly change back to a ice car.

I arranged through octopus energy a smart meter two meter installers turned up on the arranged date one was a assessor assessing the others work I was immediately told as the smart meter was larger than a standard meter a smart meter could not be installed because eon energy who had my pv solar installed had put the Henley block on the top of the meter board this being a electrician I understood but could not understand what followed they went on to change the Henley block because they said it didn't comply and a terminal had been over tightened now im all for safety if somethings not right it needs sorting but they put it back in the same place on the board when I said cant you fit it at the side on the wall they said it was not on there remit the mind boggles between eon and octopus this is still ongoing eon have been to investigate and im waiting for a decision as to what is going to happen I agree eon was wrong putting the Henley block on meter board but meter installers seem to work to a check list like a call centre. Im only needing a smart meter because I have a ev and a smart charger which to benefit from the octopus go tariff needs a smart meter im very close to giving up on the idea all together and possibly change back to a ice car.
Internal Combustion Engine! - I had to Google that! :D

The Oxford English Dictionary needs to employ legal services,and take them all to the cleaners,for false and fraudulent use of the word "smart" ;)

I was telling anyone that would listen,in 2015,that the 2019 deadline was comedy,and that they would only end up jacking,or extending...and all for nought...

The Oxford English Dictionary needs to employ legal services,and take them all to the cleaners,for false and fraudulent use of the word "smart" ;)

I was telling anyone that would listen,in 2015,that the 2019 deadline was comedy,and that they would only end up jacking,or extending...and all for nought...
It seems the new solar training centre scam. Grants from government get them to pop up everywhere. Where are they now? They're smart meter training centres getting grants for those lol

What a world.

Reply to Smart meter installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock