Discuss Smart Meters, gas and Electric in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not had any experience with any Smart Meters, s the BBC Watchdog program concerned me a little. actually a lot. Lots of fires caused by loose electrical and Gas connections, has anyone have any idea of the "extensive training" they apparently take a 12 month course and receive, on completion, and subsequent pass grade in the exam, anyone know what this course involves?

Not had any experience with any Smart Meters, s the BBC Watchdog program concerned me a little. actually a lot. Lots of fires caused by loose electrical and Gas connections, has anyone have any idea of the "extensive training" they apparently take a 12 month course and receive, on completion, and subsequent pass grade in the exam, anyone know what this course involves?
@7029 dave is doing his gas for dual fuel now..he might be able to shed some light on the subject.

@7029 dave is doing his gas for dual fuel now..he might be able to shed some light on the subject.
I see the NICEIC have got their fingers in the pie, won't be long before they start organising things, making up the rules as they go along.

Last edited:
I see the NICEIC have got their fingers in the pie, won't be long before they start organising things, making up the rules as they go along.
Just found out that the installers of Smart Meters do the work and then the site will be inspected and certified by a third party, where do I apply for a job, piece of cake?

Just redone my 5 yearly gas safe and the training site i use is jammed full of wanna be sparks n plumbers. Most of them are out of work n fed a lie about future prospects etc n havn't even been in any trade and have been recruited strait off the street without a scooby doo of what there doing. Training company dont care as they get there money anyway and the failiure rate is high sound familiar ? lol. Would say more but think most folks on here could fill in the blanks . They only teach the basics to fit meters either gas or elec , anything outside there remit/ knowlage and its call the office n move on

An update, it would seem that the "Engineers" installing Smart Metering are complaining that the companies are imposing on them, an unreasonable workload, and that Safety is being compromised, one independent Electrician who was called by the owner of a house where the Gas meter was the culprit checked the tails on the Electric side of the install and found the to be woefully loose in their terminals, ring any bells anyone?

sadlypete, this is what happens when employers won't pay a proper rate for the job. the ols adage... pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Safety is being compromised, one independent Electrician who was called by the owner of a house where the Gas meter was the culprit checked the tails on the Electric side of the install and found the to be woefully loose in their terminals, ring any bells anyone?

Non combustible metal meters Pete ? they could go along with the new fangled problem solving consumer units

No doubt when something bad happens such as house fire resulting in a fatality the utility companies will blame the individual installer and it will be he or she who gets the manslaughter charge for negligence from not installing it correctly. the management as with any company will be protected and show all the training manuals, paperwork etc.. but all they care about is profit from every one installed. When people chase profit over quality, something always gives... its just a matter of time.

No doubt when something bad happens such as house fire resulting in a fatality the utility companies will blame the individual installer and it will be he or she who gets the manslaughter charge for negligence from not installing it correctly. the management as with any company will be protected and show all the training manuals, paperwork etc.. but all they care about is profit from every one installed. When people chase profit over quality, something always gives... its just a matter of time.
Hi Gavin, don't agree with what you say, yes the bloke doing the work will get done for bad workmanship but, and I have had this argument a couple of times, the company will get prosecuted under corporate manslaughter rules, for sure, it's their responsibility, unless it can be proven that the installer broke the rules, they will have RAs in place, or should have, as well as method statements. If the training, supervision is proved to be suspect, heads will rightly roll.

Reply to Smart Meters, gas and Electric in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock