Discuss Smart switch installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace this standard 2 gand 1 way switch with a smart switch.

I've put the both live wires into L in and the switched lives into L1 and L2. This is tripping the breaker though so I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice on what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230807_163723.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230807_172932.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 9
Are you assuming the two red wires are lives and the blacks are switched lives up to lights?

The lives are not joined together on the old switch, so shouldn't be joined together on the new one.

For testing purposes.... i'd cap off one of the lives. Don't connect it to the switch, but make it safe in a connector. Connect the other live to Lin, and the two blacks to L1out and L2out. See if that works. It just means all the lights are off the same circuit now.

Unfortunately, if its been wired wrong to begin with, and powered up... the fault that tripped the breaker may have damaged the switch as well.

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Smart switch installation in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I have a 220v House I want to change this switch to smart switch, but I am stumped, I don't have a neutral so I had to return the switch I...
Replies
Views
Hi, i’ve been trying to buy a smart switch 1 gang 1 way but i opened my conventional wall switch and i only have 1 red wire(Live Old UK) 1 black...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've bought a "yagusmart" smart switch from Amazon and it has no earth terminal. Although there are no metal facing parts I would think the...
Replies
Views
Hi. I want to replace my traditional light switch for a smart Wi-Fi switch, but my current switch has 3 cables, COM, LOOP and 1WAY. Where should I...
Replies
Views
Hi. I am trying to replace a heating timer with a smart switch. The current timer is the type with a dial on the front and 1 to 24 written on it...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock