Discuss Smoke Detectors, Rented Property, Scotland. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gaulty

I've been called out to an old property in Scotland where the client is looking to rent out for 3-4months until she sells her old house and moves into this property and when that happens the full house is getting rewired

i know there's new laws coming out in October with regards to smoke alarms/heat alarms and C0 alarms for solid fuels etc.

My question is to comply with current law for rentals do the smokies I install need to be hard wired inter connected or can I put in the 10year battery ones that you link to each other?

its going to be a pain in the arse to hard wire, looking for the easiest and cheapest for the client. That said I'm not wanting to get caught out either if they need wired I'll do it.

The law in Scotland is different than rest of UK with regards to smokies so any Scottish input would be much appreciated

I do lots of them mate, need to be interlinked and hard wired, I normally fit a heat detector in the kitchen, smoke in the living room and top of landing, I get the wireless ones so they don't need cable going between them just a supply,normally ran in mini trunking as getting cable ran is a nightmare for obvious reasons, good luck!

Living room is required in Scotland tazz. Thanks for your info though.

Cheers Hellmooth, just out of interest do you inter link the C0 detectors and have you been fitting them yet where open fires are etc? This is a ranch of a house basically a fire in every room!

Don't think they'll be happy when they get the price but hey ho that's life. It'll probably be wireless I go for save breaking ceilings and fire barriers etc. I'd be running it in FP and metal clipping as its on the escape route and to comply with amendment 3 :-/

BS 5389 Part 6.....Grade D for rented properties. That's twice I've posted on here and already knew the answer, think I'm losin' the plot lol thanks for your help anyway lads.

If you interlink a co with detection, you must fit a locator switch, to identify what has activated the alarm.
You don`t have to wire in FP, as detection is self contained.

In Scotland you need one in what they call the principally used room ie living room. If you have another room such as a home office or child's play room that you spend a lot of time in this will also come under this description.

Remember if you go wireless you will need a feed at the light. Ive had to fix a few that only powered up when the light was on.

Lol had a few customers ask why I couldn't just take it from the light fitting!

Do do you have a preferred method of supplying power, do you have to use mini trunking most of the time? I usually end up having to, doesn't look good but trying to get a feed to them is just not possible!

Reply to Smoke Detectors, Rented Property, Scotland. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net