Discuss Socket not working anymore. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just bought an MK FCU. I’ve now safe isolated the circuit. I’ve split it so I have the circuit for the outside light. Which is to the right and then a circuit coming from the top. Old colours are from the socket below and the new colours are from the spurred socket.

Looking at the back of the MK socket it had the supply and load. I am looking at how it was wired previously

Load would be the outside light and the Supply would be the sockets.

Would that be correct?

So the old coloured cables are part of the existing RFC and the new colour is a spur socket from the RFC?

So the old coloured cables are part of the existing RFC and the new colour is a spur socket from the RFC?

New colours are from the addition socket that is spurred from the FCU. Old colours are from the RFC. As all the sockets downstairs are on a RFC. Which is then has a feed from that socket to the FCU.

Socket on the bottom is on a RFC. Which is in old colours. It then has a spur to the FCU above in old colours. There is then flex for the light in old colours in the FCU. Then the final socket is then spurred from the FCU in new colours.

Good news is the outside light works.

Attachments

• Socket not working anymore. 4A5CDFB2-E203-4E04-B934-393C1E5A3008 - EletriciansForums.net
    4A5CDFB2-E203-4E04-B934-393C1E5A3008.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
So tried again, bought a new lamp for the outside light. Wired the spur so that the Load Side is the Light and the Supply is the sockets. Tested the socket under the bracket. Still not working with the Socket Tester. Tried the FCU with the new lamp. Nothing.

I then looked at the wiring on the RFC, it seems that one of the live (red) is quite short. It reaches into the socket but barely, so I have got a crimping tool, some blue crimps and some 2.5mm2 T&E. So I am going to try and extend any short cables. Although the socket tester has come back all green lights, showing no faults.

I personally think you should get a spark to check this out to be on the safe side. I'm sure he wouldn't mind going through what he is doing once he knows your a trainee.

So tried again, bought a new lamp for the outside light. Wired the spur so that the Load Side is the Light and the Supply is the sockets. Tested the socket under the bracket. Still not working with the Socket Tester. Tried the FCU with the new lamp. Nothing.

I then looked at the wiring on the RFC, it seems that one of the live (red) is quite short. It reaches into the socket but barely, so I have got a crimping tool, some blue crimps and some 2.5mm2 T&E. So I am going to try and extend any short cables. Although the socket tester has come back all green lights, showing no faults.

So if the light, wired to the new FCU is not working then the problem is going to be before this.
Is your bottom socket functioning ok?

So if the light, wired to the new FCU is not working then the problem is going to be before this.
Is your bottom socket functioning ok?

Yes the bottom socket is okay. Tested with a socket tester and it’s all green. TV is plugged in and working.

Yes the bottom socket is okay. Tested with a socket tester and it’s all green. TV is plugged in and working.

Edit... Brain fart moment...

So just to recap. The bottom socket is working. This wires to the new FCU which is not working.
Are the wires going from the bottom socket to the FCU ok?

Edit... Brain fart moment...

So just to recap. The bottom socket is working. This wires to the new FCU which is not working.
Are the wires going from the bottom socket to the FCU ok?

Yes that’s correct. The wiring appears to be okay. No signs of damage. But as mentioned one of the lives although reaches just, is a little short. So I was thinking of maybe adding some blue butt crimps to that and then using some 2.5mm2 twin and earth to extend the cable. Just to see could that be the issue .

Yes that’s correct. The wiring appears to be okay. No signs of damage. But as mentioned one of the lives although reaches just, is a little short. So I was thinking of maybe adding some blue butt crimps to that and then using some 2.5mm2 twin and earth to extend the cable. Just to see could that be the issue .

The cable length looked ok in the pics you posted up before, but you are there so you will know... :)
If the light to the new FCU isn't working or the socket wired to the FCU, then it seems to suggest its the cable from the bottom socket to the FCU that may be at fault.

The cable length looked ok in the pics you posted up before, but you are there so you will know... :)
If the light to the new FCU isn't working or the socket wired to the FCU, then it seems to suggest its the cable from the bottom socket to the FCU that may be at fault.

Those cables look okay as I say. Would it be okay to do a butt crimp on the live and use the brown from the 2.5 t&e as a new live?

Those cables look okay as I say. Would it be okay to do a butt crimp on the live and use the brown from the 2.5 t&e as a new live?

If you need to extend one on the cables then using a butt crimp and descent heatshrink would be one way of doing it.
Someone did post a nice little inline connector (Not Wago) in a past post, that looked good.

Reply to Socket not working anymore. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock