Discuss Solar iboost not working in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The immersion heater should be on a separate cable back to your consumer unit (fuse box) and connected by fixed wiring to the iBoost/immersion heater. (For example using a Screwfix 58085). In my opinion this should be looked at by a qualified electrician because there are potential safety issues there.

That screwfix item is a switched fused connection unit, this is the wrong thing to use if it is to be connected to a seperate circuit and is not much better than a 1363 plug as it still has a 13A fuse and is rated to only 13A.

Yes, agreed about the chosen part.

I stand by my point that an immersion heater should not be connected to a 13 amp plug-socket combination because it's very near the current limit of a quality part, let alone some that can be found.

It should of course be a 20Amp switch. So agreed about part of the comment.

Yes, agreed about the chosen part.

I stand by my point that an immersion heater should not be connected to a 13 amp plug-socket combination because it's very near the current limit of a quality part, let alone some that can be found.

It should of course be a 20Amp switch. So agreed about part of the comment.

It's is near to, but on the right side of 13A.

I agree it is far from ideal, but it is within the rating of a 1363 plug and socket. I've often done it as a temporary measure.

But this is also powering the immersion heater through an iboost unit, this regulates the power so that it won't always be the full rating of the immersion heater flowing through it.

Mary 12345: Davesparks is top of the game in electrical wiring matters so if you have an queries or want confirmation about what needs doing and price following the electrician's visit he is a good contact. I have stitched him up but I am sure he will be chuffed to help. :)

Indeed. If the 13amp socket is genuinely on a separate supply then theoretically OK as you say (assuming a decent quality one). Since there are 16 solar panels available (some 4Kw max) then the iBoost might be at full power for a number of hours.

My concern would be that the 13A socket is part of a ring and not a separate connect …. and there's no easy way of determining that sight unseen.

Not that this diversions helps resolve the initial issue of it not taking current anyway …...

I have now checked the emersion heater via the iboost on boost and it heated the water tank up fine so all working. Now thinking it must be the sender or clamp (which is definitely the right way up). Everything seems to indicate that the iboost is receiving from the sender but it must be sending a there is not enough excess energy (even when there is) permanent message. Any ideas on if it’s more likely to be the clamp or the sender unit itself?

Mary 12345: Because it is no cost and easy to do as a test - please reverse the direction of the clamp and see what happens. Be careful to keep your fingers away from the ends of the power cable and have an attendant. Turn the electricity off while you do it. You will need some sun electricity of course to see if the iBoost starts to work.

If it makes no difference then restore the direction to how it was.

Changing the direction won't hurt, although it was clearly stated that it was the right way round, having been replaced the wrong way round some time ago.

Given that the tests seem to have eliminated every other possibility then it does seem to be that the fault in the sender (or the iBoost) itself. Probably the best way is to buy a replacement sender clamp and sender from Marlec and try those in various combinations. (They do accept returns less postage if you find that that the new parts don't fix it).

And, of course, in the meantime, bear in mind that you can press the boost button on sunny days without incurring electricity costs.

Mary 12345: I recommend you don't spend any money on a new sender or new clamp yet. The fault I reckon is in the iBoost. Pressing the Boost button temporarily circumvents the power electronics of the iBoost using a relay ( a switch) which connects the immersion heater directly to the mains - you have confirmed already this functionality is working.

It is probable - in my view - that the power control electronics for the iBoost functionality have failed. The iBoost power control electronics uses a semiconductor switch not a mechanical one like a relay because it can be turned on/off very quickly. By varying the ratio of on to off time the iBoost ensures as much average power flows to the immersion element as is being exported from your PV system. If this semiconductor switch - a triac- stops working or whatever controls its on/off, then no power will flow to the immersion heater irrespective of whether there is excess PV power being exported.

You have had a good offer from Marlec to test your device at #11.

Attachments

• Solar iboost not working iboost - EletriciansForums.net
    iboost.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
All depends which is better for you. Post #11 indicates that they are not accepting returns at the moment although that might change soon. And, of course it has to be safely disconnected. However, If you assume that it is the main unit that is faulty then this is the correct course of action. At least we've moved on from a flat standby battery.

If, however, eliminating any sender problems sounds useful, the downside is the return postage and the time taken. Always assuming that Marlec are open enough to ship spares.

Unfortunately, there's no one good definitive answer at this stage and I regret I can't give you one.

After some though, a couple more comments, of a technical nature.

Firstly, the power boost button is indeed a switched relay, that was never in doubt. The purpose of the boost test was to check that the immersion heater, thermostat and safety stat were all working. Given the information provided it seemed pretty inevitable that they were, but given the difficulty of diagnosing a hard fault here worth the check.

The iboost output device appears to be a triac (and not zero volt switched either so I hate to think of the power factor implications). Lovely to think that the triac, as a device is over 60 years old! However, it does not seem likely to me that this has failed. As we know such devices usually fail open or short circuit.

If the device failed short circuit then the tank would always heat, irrespective of any other input. This is known not to happen.

If the device failed open circuit, and this is conjecture, then no power would be fed to fed to the immersion. This is a similar situation to the tank being fully heated where the hot when the immersion stat is open circuit. Under these circumstances the iBoost detects the lack of power and displays the message Water Tank Hot.

Therefore, if the output device is open circuit I would expect the iboost to always display Hot and not Off as reported.

Regrettably again, not helpful in making a definitive conclusion.

Mary 12345: Because it is no cost and easy to do as a test - please reverse the direction of the clamp and see what happens.

Further to this, once you have reversed the direction of the clamp, switching on a higher power appliance such as a kettle will cause the iboost to see the power flowing in to the kettle as if it was excess solar generation (because the current sensor is reversed) and so the iboost should then switch on the immersion heater.

This is detailed in the manual as part of the setup procedure to check that everything is working.

Might be better if you had mentioned that for this to work during the daylight (and sunny hours) you need to shut down the solar first (exactly the opposite of the suggestion). Obviously, if the solar is generating more than the kettle the test will be very misleading because it will appear that the test fails when in fact it was meaningless.

A potentially more effective test (and doesn't require solar shutdown) is to move the current clamp to the supply to the consumer unit in the correct direction. If the house is taking more than a few hundred watts (likely) the iboost will enable the immersion heater and then positive feedback will drive iBoost to the full 3Kw within a few minutes.
[automerge]1588953688[/automerge]
One for you Mary (and not detailed technical). Going back to your original post I believe you say that when you switch iBoost on the blue "lightening" flashes and the iBoost powers the immersion heater and then the power quickly falls away. However I don't think you mentioned (if you did sorry) what happens once the iBoost goes to off.
Does the iBoost blue light flash anymore and at this point does the light on the sender continue to flash? (assuming it's sunny).

Last edited:
Might be better if you had mentioned that for this to work during the daylight (and sunny hours) you need to shut down the solar first (exactly the opposite of the suggestion). Obviously, if the solar is generating more than the kettle the test will be very misleading because it will appear that the test fails when in fact it was meaningless.

A potentially more effective test (and doesn't require solar shutdown) is to move the current clamp to the supply to the consumer unit in the correct direction. If the house is taking more than a few hundred watts (likely) the iboost will enable the immersion heater and then positive feedback will drive iBoost to the full 3Kw within a few minutes.

Yes I was not clear enough about that, thankyou for clarifying this for the OP.

We all make mistakes, or assumptions from time to time which can be incorrect. Such as your assumption here that the PV is connected to a seperate CU and not to the same CU as the rest of the installation, or indeed that there is only one CU for the installation.

I'm not sure where I assumed that the PV was connected to a separate (BTW separate is the correct spelling) CU or indeed any such assumptions.

You might, of course, be referring to my "Mistake" dealing with the fused spur. I have since checked and the Marlec installation guide suggests that a 13 amp fused outlet is fine. And of course it is recommended that a double pole switch is used so the part suggested would actually be better than many 13 amp sockets because of the double pole - although, to be fair, there are now double pole switched 13 amp sockets.

But I agree, we all make mistakes ....

Hi, I've now had my SECOND Solar iBoost+ fail on me ! I've had it installed by a qualified electrician in accordance with the instructions and also had the immersion heater element checked OK. It is very frustrating especially as I'm losing all this sun to save me money :(
Am I just unlucky or are these fickle in their design ?

We have had solar Iboost+ installed in 2018, but it was bought in mid 2016, direct.

It runs 2.5kw oil heater, & has always worked fine. However at 8pm tonight, in walking past it, it was red hot,
the solar panel display said it was off, & it had saved 4.6kwh today, however a bit later it said it had saved 16.4
today, & bit later it had saved NIL, I tested out the connections, with no solar panel power being produced,
On the IBoost, the input was 240v, but circuit A, ** was 520V no load ** B=Nil. Unit said it was OFF.

I have emailed Marlec tonight, this is very concerning, I would have hoped it it went defective, it would be dead,
520v live, when you expected it to be off, & it said it was off, could have been a killer.

Reply to Solar iboost not working in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock