Discuss Solder Joints in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

a lot of it is prep though Archy with crimps...as with most things..
you can always bare off too much copper when prepping a cable end for crimping....so you cant get a purchase on the other cable your crimping to (when extending)....so basically it just pulls off....now i`v come across this one a few times when inspecting C/Us....should always perform a `tug test` on these whenever you find em when on an EICR....

Yeah, alright, but it doesn't take much effort to work out how much to strip and butt crimps have a 'stop' in the middle anyway.

Learnt to do solder joints at college. Our instructer said "here lads, show you this but you'll never need to do it".
He was wrong. Have used it on cable up to 10mm, (earths) when really neccassary and no way or time to do anything else. Have 100 % confidence in my abilities to whip and solder cable.
More to the point, and although i have used crimps on single solid core cable, i was always taught that crimps are only to be used on stranded cable as they grip better. Anyone else ever heard this?

It seems the "Sky" has "gorn orf". He/she seems to have wound up our spring and set us going. What does Sky think of the words of wisdom that we have provided him with?

I have a 1904 electricians pocket book with may words of wisdom on lots of things that are of only limited use to us today.

When in the merchant Navy we regularly used to joint the snapped flex on cluster lamps by knotting the flex( with a reef know of course). The bare wires were then insulated with vulcanising tape individually then over insulated with a fabric tape and then shellac varnish. They staid very flexible and I never had one fail. That's some thing else that you will never need to know.

Where are you "Sky"
Exactly,limited uses but useful on occasions,btw just read in the book that came with my new tester that care should be avoided that NO earth connection is made to any gas pipe.Before anyone panics my NEW meter is an EVERSHED & VIGNOLES circuit testing ohmeter made in 1941 that I bought at a show on saturday BNIB for £10

Last edited by a moderator:
Solder Joints IMG_0001 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0002 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0003 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0004 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0005 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0007 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0009 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0008 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0011 - EletriciansForums.netSolder Joints IMG_0012 - EletriciansForums.nethere,s a few more of some of the other old things I collect,as you can see I also collect old torches and have almost a full set of the "ever ready motormate series" in the picture they are the blue ones.the only one missing is a motormate 2 which was square with an amber top rather than a red one made in the early 80,s the others date from early 60,s onwards.

Very nice. Particulary like the old avo multimeters. Now they were something else.
Used to use something similiar back in very early 80's not long after finishing my time when i worked in an electrical engineers. We had two, one calibrated every six monthes for use on post office work (now bt) and the other that our absent minded chief engineer used to regulary bu**er up. suffice to say we kept the better one hidden from him!

i'm watching a few avo 8's on ebay. mine is OK, reads comparable to digital meter and MFT .

Very nice. Particulary like the old avo multimeters. Now they were something else.
Used to use something similiar back in very early 80's not long after finishing my time when i worked in an electrical engineers. We had two, one calibrated every six monthes for use on post office work (now bt) and the other that our absent minded chief engineer used to regulary bu**er up. suffice to say we kept the better one hidden from him!
I have 3 of the large AVO,s and they date from 1958 up to about 2005 and when tested they are all still accurate.

seen a few meggers on ebay....lovely wooden cases with glass vial surrounded by a brass bezel.....nice bit of wood that is.....its 50 quid......i reckon its 30s that...looks it.....

It seems the "Sky" has "gorn orf". He/she seems to have wound up our spring and set us going. What does Sky think of the words of wisdom that we have provided him with?

I have a 1904 electricians pocket book with may words of wisdom on lots of things that are of only limited use to us today.

When in the merchant Navy we regularly used to joint the snapped flex on cluster lamps by knotting the flex( with a reef know of course). The bare wires were then insulated with vulcanising tape individually then over insulated with a fabric tape and then shellac varnish. They staid very flexible and I never had one fail. That's some thing else that you will never need to know.

Where are you "Sky"

LOL - I'm here reading the pros and cons - think I will stick to crimps.

Reply to Solder Joints in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock