Discuss Some times I really feel sorry for some clients in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Today I got a call from a lady today, asking me if I could come and provide a price to move a socket.

So I duely turned up at the prearranged time.....

1. The had ordered a new cooker from Comet - who had turned up to install it and have refused due to the location of the socket above being "illegal"

Some times I really feel sorry for some clients Cooker - EletriciansForums.net

2. They've marked the two tiles where a new socket would be OK as the new cooker is a gas unit and only requires a socket (13a plug) supply

3. No RCD protection in the house - so a single RCD socket in the kitchen would be required!

4. No bonding to the gas and water - and the CU is on the opposite side of the detached house - clearly didn't like hearing about the requirement to add this before I can do anything.

This couple are elderly, and judging by the home and their reaction to what I said, don't have much money.

So what would you do.....

1. Play by the rules, insist on the bonding, RCD socket, etc??

or

2. Bend the rules and forget the bonding and RCD's??

Oh happy days!

Last edited by a moderator:
how is the cooker to be connected, hard wired or on a plug?

Hmm, can't you just fit a stainless steel deflector plate under the socket or even something IP55 like one of these?

Some times I really feel sorry for some clients Outside-Double-Socket-IP55 - EletriciansForums.net

is there a low level socket to plug the cooker into?

the ideal remedy would to blank off the offending socket, extend the cables to a new socket below worktops, do the earthing and bonding, and fit RCD to the relevant circuit. obviously, cost is going to be a factor. if the clients are elderly, then there may be grant assistance from the local council.

What about changing the double socket for an rcd fcu and mt to socket behind cooker.
Not ideal but takes the plug and socket out of the frame. The bonding is another matter, but at least the new wiring is protected.

Surely we want the system to be as safe as possible for an elderly couple, not bend the rules because we "assume" they have no money.
Treat all customers the same as far as regs go imo. If you want to give them a special rate for your labour then obviously that's your call.
The socket needs moving.

Makes you wonder why the ignition system needs a mains connection, it ain't that hard to generate a spark from a battery source! Lazy manufactuers.

If they're an elderly couple I'd do the bonding for material cost only....coz I'll be there in a few more years :)

as others have mentioned , blank off existing skt , then drop down in mini-trunking to new skt behind cooker - 20 mins max.

even so, bonding would need to be done. jury's still out on the RCD.

Cheapest option:- Take the cable supplying the socket back to a safe position and blank it off. Give them a box of matches.

I agree - option 2
BUT you know fine well, this is the job where something goes wrong ie chip pan fire, fire brigade investigate, the old couple sing like canaries cos their insurance won't pay up, mention about you and the socket. Next thing your standing in front of guy in wig, waving a big green book in front of you saying "you know better blah blah"
i would stick to your gut feeling and do the job properly, you have NOTHING to gain by taking option 1

its upto murdoch if he wants to do it by the book or cut some slack to pensioners.
everyone will make that call differently , so we cant advise really.

Just noticed. If the socket goes where suggested (x) it'll look great with the fan plugged in. Another fcu for the fan ?

Reply to Some times I really feel sorry for some clients in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock