Discuss Someone please explain! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

simonatlondon

:confused: Someone please explain the following situation. All thoughts and insults are most welcome.

Problem 1: 2 way switches switching only one 230v downlight. Live and neutral at the jb above in ceiling no problem. Getting 230v. Downlight connected to neutral. Live feed going to switch, I only get 12v. What the f@#k? So light doesn't work. I took temporary t and e from jb to light switch to bypass the switch line, it worked. So it will just need a new switch line.

Problem 2: Light in study worked yesterday. I go there this morning, find fault with 2 way light. I get a call this afternoon "light in study and living room don't work". I go back, take study light fitting down, I find the t and e feeding the light fitting has no neutral but 2 lives instead. Does anyone think the customer is lying to me? I really don't know what to make of it.

This house was an old coach house wired around 15 years ago in my opinion.

Any help would be massively helpful guys. But I have reached the limit today.:confused:

This sounds like a great project - (with your fault finding hourly rate!) as for the 230 at fitting &12 at the switch- I've had that before and it was a crap connection at a JB. keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I was thinking about the lights wired up in series but it would mean the study lights would have to be on for the living room lights to be working. And does that mean if a bulb was to blow, then again lights after the blown one on the same circuit would not work?

Would some idiot really have installed light circuits in series?

sorry to dissapoint adamh but year i am a spark. Not the most experienced but good enough to hold my own except this one.

That alright with you?

you did say insults welcome lol

problem 1 sounds liek youve sorted that

problem 2 id say the switch wire has found its way in to the wrong jb also possibly switches wired wrong along with another loop in loop out jb wired wrong sounds about right if the switch wire has madfe its way to wrong jb.

i have only been up half hour so the best i can do!!

or tbh it sounds like just the loop in loop out jb has been wired wrong and this is why ur getting 2 phase conductors, same thing has happened to me loads when decorators take down lights.

Sorry mate's...yours english installations are like...a cosmos.
it's anybody's guess :)

continuity tester...make a schematic diagram and go ahead Simon,
Regard gays

Reply to Someone please explain! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock