Discuss Sometimes electricians make me sick in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

early 50's. was only a nipper then. we could play outside without being abducted by a paedo, climb trees, get a clout round the head from the local bobby, then a belt from da for falling foul of plod. now both would be arrested and kid taken for counselling or into care. happy days.

I was told many years ago that the ring came about in council houses built after the war with one single socket per room to allow the use of a single bar electric heater in every room, luxury knew no bounds eh. Not sure if thats an old wives tale but if it isnt true it should be.

Last edited:
early 50's. was only a nipper then. we could play outside without being abducted by a paedo, climb trees, get a clout round the head from the local bobby, then a belt from da for falling foul of plod. now both would be arrested and kid taken for counselling or into care. happy days.

SNAP!!! lol!!

I was told many years ago that the ring main came about in council houses built after the war with one single socket per room to allow the use of a single bar electric heater in every room, luxury knew no bounds eh. Not sure if thats an old wives tale but if it isnt true it should be.

was more to do with saving cable as copper was expensive and in short supply. a 30A RFC used less cable than the equivalent ccc of 15A radials, which, frequently were installed 1 radial to 1 socket

anybody remeber Dorman Smith round pin with screw in fuse - my first introduction to the world of electrticity - I was five and took great pleasure going round the house unscrwing them all

I was told many years ago that the ring came about in council houses built after the war with one single socket per room to allow the use of a single bar electric heater in every room, luxury knew no bounds eh. Not sure if thats an old wives tale but if it isnt true it should be.

It was because after the war the ration was a 2 way board 1 for lights 1 for sockets and yes to save cable there was the ring

anybody remeber Dorman Smith round pin with screw in fuse - my first introduction to the world of electrticity - I was five and took great pleasure going round the house unscrwing them all

Yes!! All the council houses in the early 50's used them. They never caught on and discontinued by the time the 60's arrived. The mainly single outlets was based on using a BESA conduit back box with a square flange plate, same as the D/S light switches....

There were 3 or 4 versions/designs of the then 13A new RFC. Only the present design won favour and made the standard British outlet... Those D/S fuses were dammed expensive, you could almost buy a complete 13A square pin plug top for the same money...lol!! Ended up, only woolies and the lecy board shops selling them, to all the stuffed council houses that still had them!! lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:

was more to do with saving cable as copper was expensive and in short supply. a 30A RFC used less cable than the equivalent ccc of 15A radials, which, frequently were installed 1 radial to 1 socket

the ring circuit now known as the ring final circuit was born from the Rhodesian copper crisis

There were designs on the table for the ring circuit, dating back to 1940, so the ring wasn't born from any crisis or copper shortage. It was however one of the reasons it became adopted relatively quickly after the end of WW11.... Probably why so many folk think it was the ONLY reason for the ring circuit being adopted!!

There were designs on the table for the ring circuit, dating back to 1940, so the ring wasn't born from any crisis or copper shortage. It was however one of the reasons it became adopted relatively quickly after the end of WW11.... Probably why so many folk think it was the ONLY reason for the ring circuit being adopted!!

I wasn't there so I can't comment but I can comment on what I was taught.

Reply to Sometimes electricians make me sick in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock