Discuss spa installation in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mpj111

recently i wired an outside plug for a portable spa with an Rcd on the switchboard. The spa has been tripping the Rcd since the pump was replaced recently, the company that fitted the pump were called in to check it out and he removed the RCD and hardwired the spa. I have looked through regs wirt regards to spas etc , This can't be safe under reg . anyone with better regs knowledge that can point me in the right direction here, I believe that a spa should be Rcd protected regardless of it being pluged in or permantantly connected.

Sounds to me like the Spa guy couldnt be a**ed to look for the reason behind the tripping, or found it and diddnt want to fix it.
If it was OK with the original pump, then it wants to be the same with a new pump. Could be somthing simple like a trapped wire, but removing the RCD is not finding the fault !

Tell the spa owner to contact the company asking

1-Why the RCD was removed in the first place
2-For them to come back and refit it at their expense
3-Repair/Replace the pump so RCD does not trip
4-Inform the company if they don't then they will go to the Trading Standards and report them for leaving the spa in a possible dangerous state.

Any socket likely to be used for outdoor equipment MUST have RCD protection. Since the socket is outside and the spa is outdoor equipment, there surely can't be any discussion!!!

Also check the instructions that came with the spa - bet the manufacturer stipulates it should be on an RCD (MaxxSpa spas come with an RCD main switch already fitted in the body of the spa!!)

The customer should also ask the company why their 'engineer' undid perfectly regs compliant work and made it non-compliant to BS7671 and Part P.

Reply to spa installation in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock