Discuss SPD to cover whole site? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Having recently done my 18th, and various reading of SPD requirements, I feel that within the factory where I work (food industry), we should be using SPD's?

We have an onsite transformer which we own, 11kV to 400v, which then splits after the meter to two main switch panels, which subsequently feed the factory. In total there are 31 distribution boards and 100's of final circuits.

What options are there for SPD's?

Is it feasible installing one to cover the whole factory, or would it be better installing them on to the incommer of each DB? Or what are the other options?

There is the risk assessment formula (Reg 443.5 I think), but I don't see how we can get the DNO information for cable lengths etc?

Thanks for any advice.

You would have to do both. And it would be better to get a design spec from one of the manufacturers anyway. i.e. Type 1 and Type 2 sometimes even more than that.

Hi Guys,
Having recently done my 18th, and various reading of SPD requirements, I feel that within the factory where I work (food industry), we should be using SPD's?

We have an onsite transformer which we own, 11kV to 400v, which then splits after the meter to two main switch panels, which subsequently feed the factory. In total there are 31 distribution boards and 100's of final circuits.

What options are there for SPD's?

Is it feasible installing one to cover the whole factory, or would it be better installing them on to the incommer of each DB? Or what are the other options?

There is the risk assessment formula (Reg 443.5 I think), but I don't see how we can get the DNO information for cable lengths etc?

Thanks for any advice.
Contact Crown House Furze for info I did when I planned work fo overseas jobs very helpful imom well it was a while ago but give them a try.

Both at the main incommer to the factory and each of the 31 DBs as well?

Would the main incommer SPD not 'protect' the whole factory?

Excuse my ignorance if this is pretty simple, but other than reading 443.4 I don't know much about the issue.

Would it be worth getting someone in from Schneider for example to survey the factory and recommend something?

Thank you

Yes at the main DB and all sub mains. Type 1 and Type 2 at subs. You should contact Schneider. I have been through this one with a place with around 34 sub mains and yes I did need Main DB and all submains. When they saw the cost they declined.

If you have an LPS then you will need to have Type 1 SPDs installed at the main incoming supplies and any other service supplie ie telephone incomer.

Type 2 SPDs will need to be installed at DBs that are downstream. You may want to assess each DB to ascertain if the final circuits warrant SPD protection.

In an ideal world you would want Type 1 installed at all incomers (if LPS installed) and Type 2 at every DB.

Yes at the main DB and all sub mains. Type 1 and Type 2 at subs. You should contact Schneider. I have been through this one with a place with around 34 sub mains and yes I did need Main DB and all submains. When they saw the cost they declined.

Thanks, I will investigate.

Can we (as a company) not install SPD's? I thought it was more of a necessity now? I know the engineering manager won't want to pay if he doesn't have to.

If you have an LPS then you will need to have Type 1 SPDs installed at the main incoming supplies and any other service supplie ie telephone incomer.

Type 2 SPDs will need to be installed at DBs that are downstream. You may want to assess each DB to ascertain if the final circuits warrant SPD protection.

In an ideal world you would want Type 1 installed at all incomers (if LPS installed) and Type 2 at every DB.

We don't have any LPS - should we? As we don't have LPS, would it be a Type 2 at the two main incommers?

So they don't need to be on every final circuit but at each DB?

Thank you

We don't have any LPS - should we? As we don't have LPS, would it be a Type 2 at the two main incommers?

So they don't need to be on every final circuit but at each DB?

Thank you

No. If they were your only DB then it would be fine. Type 2s need to he installed at every DB.

If you only need to protect limited equipment then you can install Type 3 near the equipment eg a server.

No. If they were your only DB then it would be fine. Type 2s need to he installed at every DB.

If you only need to protect limited equipment then you can install Type 3 near the equipment eg a server.

Sorry for sounding thick, but what if we don't want to protect anything? Which I know the engineering manager wouldn't want to due to cost, and the unlikeliness of needing the SPD, as he will say in his 20 years they never have?

Thank you :)

Risk assessment and value of equipment cost of downtime and so on, against cost of install. It may just be that you don't need to protect every DB.
But of course you can install them (SPD) just you will need help for a spec. of distribution of them. Might have some probs with such a mixture of types of DB.

Risk assessment and value of equipment cost of downtime and so on, against cost of install. It may just be that you don't need to protect every DB.
But of course you can install them (SPD) just you will need help for a spec. of distribution of them. Might have some probs with such a mixture of types of DB.

Risk Assessment from Reg 443.5 using the formula, or just a general risk assessment, which of course could be written to negate the need for SPD's?

We do have some expensive production machines with PLCs, Inverters etc. But I know my manager would have the thought of it never has happened, so it never will.....which I appreciate isn't the correct attitude.

Thanks a lot for your input

I do mean the cost of downtime and production etc. Value of machines damaged and so on or potential danger if they stopped working etc. In terms of assaying the necessity against the cost. Looking at the regs I read it is about these matters as to whether you are going to use them and the calcs come when you do decide to put them in. One lady in a commercial unit has an embroidering machine that costs thousands and wanted SPD but again the cost put her off. So I said well get an SPD at the socket and put your machine in to that. So far so good! On the other hand in reception at another place they comms are for 60 units if that goes down then 60 odd businesses and the phone recording for some of them goes as well. A massive disruption. Again cost was the factor and was passed over. Look into the costing first.

I do mean the cost of downtime and production etc. Value of machines damaged and so on or potential danger if they stopped working etc. In terms of assaying the necessity against the cost. Looking at the regs I read it is about these matters as to whether you are going to use them and the calcs come when you do decide to put them in. One lady in a commercial unit has an embroidering machine that costs thousands and wanted SPD but again the cost put her off. So I said well get an SPD at the socket and put your machine in to that. So far so good! On the other hand in reception at another place they comms are for 60 units if that goes down then 60 odd businesses and the phone recording for some of them goes as well. A massive disruption. Again cost was the factor and was passed over. Look into the costing first.

I see, that makes sense, thanks.

If we were to get a Surge, I presume most of the DB's and therefore machinery would be affected anyway, which would cost thousands. If it was the whole factory down, I think we'd loose £2500/hour in lost turnover.....although that may not be too accurate or true.

I would suggest to managment a phased introduction. Pick the most vital of equipment to do first with a five year plan to achieve 100% compliance.

An SPD may very well not stop a surge in its tracks. On larger installations you need to stage it down so type 1 at the incomer then type 2 on each submain, each SPD reduces the surge down to acceptable levels.

An SPD may very well not stop a surge in its tracks. On larger installations you need to stage it down so type 1 at the incomer then type 2 on each submain, each SPD reduces the surge down to acceptable levels.

Finally Type 3 on equipment, such as surge protected socket-outlets.

Reply to SPD to cover whole site? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock