Discuss Stage 2 insulation resistance test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
I have installed a circuit for an oven and carried out all of the relevant testing so far. Apart from a neon on the double pole isolation switch, there is no current using equipment connected to the circuit yet as the property is empty. In this situation, would one just make a note on the electrical installation certificate, that there is nothing connected to the circuit yet or would you perform stage 2 of the insulation resistance test, just for the sake of the neon?

I don't understand the question? What bearing does the presence of the appliance have on you certifying the installation?
Following the connection of current using equipment and electronic devices a second insulation resistance test must be carried out. Set the insulation resistance tester to 250V and carry out the test between all live conductors connected together and earth. The insulation resistance value should be at least 1MΩ.
i don’t have any current using equipment to connect to the circuit so I haven’t carried out the testing as above.

Are you confusing IR testing a new circuit prior to attaching equipment sensitive to the 500v test with testing the attached appliance?

Are you confusing IR testing a new circuit prior to attaching equipment sensitive to the 500v test with testing the attached appliance?
Maybe I am interpreting 643.3.3 wrongly. I have carried out my 500v test on the circuit cable only, before I connected a cooker control unit with integrated neon to it. I won’t repeat the reg, word for word, but, It then goes on to say that following connection of equipment, a test at 250v shall be applied.
Am I now not supposed to carry out a 250v test to my circuit, with the cooker control unit now connected and the switch in the on position, and if there was a cooker or oven to connect, to have it connected, as long as the manufacturers instructions stated otherwise? Sometimes my questions may only make sense to me. For this I do apologise, if I am causing confusion.

I don’t have 643.3.3 to hand to read. As far as I’m aware, initial testing is for the installed new circuit or addition or alteration of. If you are testing your new oven circuit, the cable between isolator and cooker connection box should also be tested, requiring the isolator to be turned on, which would include the neon indicator. Is that what you are referring to?

Maybe I am interpreting 643.3.3 wrongly. I have carried out my 500v test on the circuit cable only, before I connected a cooker control unit with integrated neon to it. I won’t repeat the reg, word for word, but, It then goes on to say that following connection of equipment, a test at 250v shall be applied.
Am I now not supposed to carry out a 250v test to my circuit, with the cooker control unit now connected and the switch in the on position, and if there was a cooker or oven to connect, to have it connected, as long as the manufacturers instructions stated otherwise? Sometimes my questions may only make sense to me. For this I do apologise, if I am causing confusion.
I would carry out the 250V L+N to E test. Since you did the 500V test, you have done work (connecting the switch) which could have introduced a fault, so it's like a final check, just before you energise the system.

I'd also note on the cert that no appliance was installed at the time of completion.

I don’t have 643.3.3 to hand to read. As far as I’m aware, initial testing is for the installed new circuit or addition or alteration of. If you are testing your new oven circuit, the cable between isolator and cooker connection box should also be tested, requiring the isolator to be turned on, which would include the neon indicator. Is that what you are referring to?
I had already tested the cable all the way through to the cooker connection unit, by joining the two cut ends of each conductor, so circuit was tested at 500v all the way to the circuit extremity. I will just do another I/R test at 250v now that the cooker control unit is connected and make a little note on the EIC. Cheers

I would carry out the 250V L+N to E test. Since you did the 500V test, you have done work (connecting the switch) which could have introduced a fault, so it's like a final check, just before you energise the system.

I'd also note on the cert that no appliance was installed at the time of completion.
Will do. Cheers.

Reply to Stage 2 insulation resistance test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net