Discuss Starting up a business on the side in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

azzb

-
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

Just after a bit of advice.

I work for a medium sized JIB registered electrical company, we do commercial and industrial we do not get involved in the domestic market.

I get asked all the time to work on houses by friends of friends, family, landlords etc in my spare time at weekends, but obviously I'm not registered in any contractor schemes so I avoid it.

Would i I be able to set up a limited business, get liability insurance and then enrol with the NIC or nap it etc, while already working? I have no intention if leaving my day job, I would just like the opportunity to make a little extra cash at weekend legitimately.

Anybody had a similar experience?

Cheers!

I was under the impression that if its a jib "site" the employment contract forbids "work on the side" and if my memory serves me correctly there was a thread a few months back about this where somebody was about to be dismissed and the employers "reason" was the working on the side.

I was under the impression that if its a jib "site" the employment contract forbids "work on the side" and if my memory serves me correctly there was a thread a few months back about this where somebody was about to be dismissed and the employers "reason" was the working on the side.

Doubt it unless it is specified in a bona fide employment contact. The Jib have no capacity to dictate employment law. If your on the books and employed you must be provided with a contract of employment, and only then can they stipulate no extra curricular activities. If your a subby then in the eyes of the law there is sweet FA they can do as it's the nature of a subby and you have no HR contract with your employer.

All that says tho is that they can't sack you for it unless you are breaching your contract as a perm, however that doesn't say your employer won't take the hump, if your perm, find something else to sack you for or if your a subby just send you up the road.

If it were me I'd discuss it with your boss first, explain that you would not be taking work that would be in competition with your employers core work and get their blessing.

I agree with High Tower. As an employer I would take steps to stop employees working on the side. There's too much possibility that company materials or vehicles could be used plus there's a possibility the company may get dragged in if there were ever complications.

The only way I'd even consider it is if it was in a completely different industry and there was on overlap whatsoever with my business. Many years ago I had an employee who rented out a couple of inflatable jumping castles in his spare time and I didn't have a problem with that.

Reply to Starting up a business on the side in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net